Given a stream of numbers, generate a random number from the stream. You are allowed to use only O(1) space and the input is in the form of stream, so can’t store the previously seen numbers.
So how do we generate a random number from the whole stream such that the probability of picking any number is 1/n. with O(1) extra space? This problem is a variation of Reservoir Sampling. Here the value of k is 1.
1) Initialize ‘count’ as 0, ‘count’ is used to store count of numbers seen so far in stream.
2) For each number ‘x’ from stream, do following
…..a) Increment ‘count’ by 1.
…..b) If count is 1, set result as x, and return result.
…..c) Generate a random number from 0 to ‘count-1’. Let the generated random number be i.
…..d) If i is equal to ‘count – 1’, update the result as x.
Random number from first 1 numbers is 1 Random number from first 2 numbers is 1 Random number from first 3 numbers is 3 Random number from first 4 numbers is 4
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
How does this work
We need to prove that every element is picked with 1/n probability where n is the number of items seen so far. For every new stream item x, we pick a random number from 0 to ‘count -1’, if the picked number is ‘count-1’, we replace the previous result with x.
To simplify proof, let us first consider the last element, the last element replaces the previously stored result with 1/n probability. So probability of getting last element as result is 1/n.
Let us now talk about second last element. When second last element processed first time, the probability that it replaced the previous result is 1/(n-1). The probability that previous result stays when nth item is considered is (n-1)/n. So probability that the second last element is picked in last iteration is [1/(n-1)] * [(n-1)/n] which is 1/n.
Similarly, we can prove for third last element and others.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Select a Random Node from a tree with equal probability
- Select a Random Node from a Singly Linked List
- Generating random number in a range in C
- Pseudo Random Number Generator (PRNG)
- Random number generator in arbitrary probability distribution fashion
- To check a number is palindrome or not without using any extra space
- Space efficient iterative method to Fibonacci number
- Implement random-0-6-Generator using the given random-0-1-Generator
- QuickSort using Random Pivoting
- Binomial Random Variables
- Generating Random String Using PHP
- Generate a random permutation of 1 to N
- Random Walk (Implementation in Python)
- Erdos Renyl Model (for generating Random Graphs)
- Generate a random permutation of elements from range [L, R] (Divide and Conquer)