Given a small integer n, print all the n’th roots of unity up to 6 significant digits. We basically need to find all roots of equation xn – 1.
Input : n = 1 Output : 1.000000 + i 0.000000 x - 1 = 0 , has only one root i.e., 1 Input : 2 Output : 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -1.000000 + i 0.000000 x2 - 1 = 0 has 2 distinct roots, i.e., 1 and -1
Any complex number is said to be root of unity if it gives 1 when raised to some power.
nth root of unity is any complex number such that it gives 1 when raised to the power n.
Mathematically, An nth root of unity, where n is a positive integer (i.e. n = 1, 2, 3, …) is a number z satisfying the equation z^n = 1 or , z^n - 1 = 0
We can use the De Moivre’s formula here ,
( Cos x + i Sin x )^k = Cos kx + i Sin kx Setting x = 2*pi/n, we can obtain all the nth roots of unity, using the fact that Nth roots are set of numbers given by, Cos (2*pi*k/n) + i Sin(2*pi*k/n) Where, 0 <= k < n
Using the above fact we can easily print all the nth roots of unity !
Below is the program for the same.
1.000000 + i 0.000000 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -1.000000 + i 0.000000 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -0.500000 + i 0.866025 -0.500000 - i 0.866025
References : Wikipedia
This article is contributed by Ashutosh Kumar .If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Ways of filling matrix such that product of all rows and all columns are equal to unity
- Minimize the sum of roots of a given polynomial
- Seeds (Or Seed Roots) of a number
- Roots of a tree which give minimum height
- Bakhshali Approximation for computing square roots
- Program to find the Roots of Quadratic equation
- Absolute difference between sum and product of roots of a quartic equation
- Minimum number of operations required to reduce N to 1
- Check whether sum of digits at odd places of a number is divisible by K
- Arrangement of the characters of a word such that all vowels are at odd places
- Equation of ellipse from its focus, directrix, and eccentricity
- Maximum area of rectangle possible with given perimeter
- Find permutation of n which is divisible by 3 but not divisible by 6
- Check if a triangle of positive area is possible with the given angles