Given a small integer n, print all the n’th roots of unity up to 6 significant digits. We basically need to find all roots of equation xn – 1.
Input : n = 1 Output : 1.000000 + i 0.000000 x - 1 = 0 , has only one root i.e., 1 Input : 2 Output : 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -1.000000 + i 0.000000 x2 - 1 = 0 has 2 distinct roots, i.e., 1 and -1
Any complex number is said to be root of unity if it gives 1 when raised to some power.
nth root of unity is any complex number such that it gives 1 when raised to the power n.
Mathematically, An nth root of unity, where n is a positive integer (i.e. n = 1, 2, 3, …) is a number z satisfying the equation z^n = 1 or , z^n - 1 = 0
We can use the De Moivre’s formula here ,
( Cos x + i Sin x )^k = Cos kx + i Sin kx Setting x = 2*pi/n, we can obtain all the nth roots of unity, using the fact that Nth roots are set of numbers given by, Cos (2*pi*k/n) + i Sin(2*pi*k/n) Where, 0 <= k < n
Using the above fact we can easily print all the nth roots of unity !
Below is the program for the same.
1.000000 + i 0.000000 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -1.000000 + i 0.000000 1.000000 + i 0.000000 -0.500000 + i 0.866025 -0.500000 - i 0.866025
References : Wikipedia
This article is contributed by Ashutosh Kumar .If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Program to find the Roots of Quadratic equation
- Bakhshali Approximation for computing square roots
- Seeds (Or Seed Roots) of a number
- Absolute difference between sum and product of roots of a quartic equation
- Find the number of primitive roots modulo prime
- Roots of the quadratic equation when a + b + c = 0 without using Shridharacharya formula
- Find the quadratic equation from the given roots
- Find an array of size N having exactly K subarrays with sum S
- Find minimum value of y for the given x values in Q queries from all the given set of lines
- Find Kth number from sorted array formed by multiplying any two numbers in the array
- Minimum number of cuts required to pay salary from N length Gold Bar
- Sum of Maximum and Minimum prime factor of every number in the Array
- Find K such that changing all elements of the Array greater than K to K will make array sum N
- Pair of integers (a, b) which satisfy the given equations