Given an array of integers, replace every element with the least greater element on its right side in the array. If there are no greater element on right side, replace it with -1.
Input: [8, 58, 71, 18, 31, 32, 63, 92, 43, 3, 91, 93, 25, 80, 28] Output: [18, 63, 80, 25, 32, 43, 80, 93, 80, 25, 93, -1, 28, -1, -1]
A naive method is to run two loops. The outer loop will one by one pick array elements from left to right. The inner loop will find the smallest element greater than the picked element on its right side. Finally the outer loop will replace the picked element with the element found by inner loop. The time complexity of this method will be O(n2).
A tricky solution would be to use Binary Search Trees. We start scanning the array from right to left and insert each element into the BST. For each inserted element, we replace it in the array by its inorder successor in BST. If the element inserted is the maximum so far (i.e. its inorder successor doesn’t exists), we replace it by -1.
Below is C++ implementation of above idea –
18 63 80 25 32 43 80 93 80 25 93 -1 28 -1 -1
Worst case time complexity of above solution is also O(n2) as it uses BST. The worst case will happen when array is sorted in ascending or descending order. The complexity can easily be reduced to O(nlogn) by using balanced trees like red-black trees.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Replace each element by the difference of the total size of the array and frequency of that element
- Replace every array element by Bitwise Xor of previous and next element
- Replace every element with the smallest element on its left side
- Replace every element with the greatest element on its left side
- Replace every element of the array by its previous element
- Replace every element with the greatest element on right side
- Longest Subarray with first element greater than or equal to Last element
- Replace every element of the array by its next element
- Replace every element of the array by sum of all other elements
- Replace every element of the array with BitWise XOR of all other
- Replace every array element by sum of previous and next
- Closest greater element for every array element from another array
- Replace every array element by multiplication of previous and next
- Replace every element of the array by product of all other elements
- Replace the maximum element in the array by coefficient of range