Given a numeric string str, the task is to remove all the leading zeros from a given string. If the string containing only zeros, then print a single “0”.
Input: str = “0001234”
Removal of leading substring “000” modifies the string to “1234”.
Hence, the final answer is “1234”.
Input: str = “00000000”
The simplest approach to solve the problem is to traverse the string up to the first non-zero character present in the string and store the remaining string starting from that index as the answer. If the entire string is traversed, it means all the characters in the string are ‘0’. For this case, store “0” as the answer. Print the final answer.
Time Complexity: O(N)
Auxiliary Space: O(N)
Follow the steps below to solve the problem in constant space using Regular Expression:
- Create a Regular Expression as given below to remove the leading zeros
regex = “^0+(?!$)”
^0+ match one or more zeros from the beginning of the string.
(?!$) is a negative look-ahead expression, where “$” means the end of the string.
- Use the inbuilt replaceAll() method of the String class which accepts two parameters, a Regular Expression and a Replacement String.
- To remove the leading zeros, pass a Regex as the first parameter and empty string as the second parameter.
- This method replaces the matched value with the given string.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N), where N is the length of the string.
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Python | Remove leading zeros from an IP address
- Count numbers having N 0's and and M 1's with no leading zeros
- All possible numbers of N digits and base B without leading zeros
- Count of N-bit binary numbers without leading zeros
- C program to trim leading white spaces from String
- Number of ways to remove a sub-string from S such that all remaining characters are same
- Maximum number of given operations to remove the entire string
- Minimum number of steps needed to remove the substring K from given string
- Maximum difference of zeros and ones in binary string
- Count number of trailing zeros in Binary representation of a number using Bitset
- Maximum difference of zeros and ones in binary string | Set 2 (O(n) time)
- Number of trailing zeros in N * (N - 2) * (N - 4)*....
- Count number of trailing zeros in (1^1)*(2^2)*(3^3)*(4^4)*..
- Find the smallest number X such that X! contains at least Y trailing zeros.
- Maximum number of strings that can be formed with given zeros and ones
- Smallest number divisible by n and has at-least k trailing zeros
- Count number of trailing zeros in product of array
- Remove characters from a numeric string such that string becomes divisible by 8
- Check if the given array can be reduced to zeros with the given operation performed given number of times
- Remove characters from the first string which are present in the second string
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.