Prerequisite – Construction of LL(1) Parsing Table, Classification of top down parsers
Parsing is the process to determine whether the start symbol can derive the program or not. If the Parsing is successful then the program is a valid program otherwise the program is invalid.
There are generally two types of Parsers:
- In this Parsing technique we expand the start symbol to the whole program.
- Recursive Descent and LL parsers are the Top-Down parsers.
- In this Parsing technique we reduce the whole program to start symbol.
- Operator Precedence Parser, LR(0) Parser, SLR Parser, LALR Parser and CLR Parser are the Bottom-Up parsers.
Recursive Descent Parser:
It is a kind of Top-Down Parser. A top-down parser builds the parse tree from the top to down, starting with the start non-terminal. A Predictive Parser is a special case of Recursive Descent Parser, where no Back Tracking is required.
By carefully writing a grammar means eliminating left recursion and left factoring from it, the resulting grammar will be a grammar that can be parsed by a recursive descent parser.
|Before removing left recursion||After removing left recursion|
|E –> E + T | T
T –> T * F | F
F –> ( E ) | id
|E –> T E’
E’ –> + T E’ | e
T –> F T’
T’ –> * F T’ | e
F –> ( E ) | id
**Here e is Epsilon
For Recursive Descent Parser, we are going to write one program for every variable.
Example: Grammar: E --> i E' E' --> + i E' | e
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Recursive Predictive Descent Parser and Non-Recursive Predictive Descent Parser
- Total Recursive Functions and Partial Recursive Functions in Automata
- Shift Reduce Parser in Compiler
- Difference between LL and LR parser
- Parsing ambiguos grammars using LR parser
- Working of Bottom up parser
- Working of top down parser
- Operator grammar and precedence parser in TOC
- Recursive Relationships in ER diagrams
- Algorithm for non recursive Predictive Parsing
- Difference between Batch Processing and Stream Processing
- Difference between Multitasking and Multiprocessing
- Difference between Multiprocessing and Multiprogramming
- Difference between Batch Processing OS and Multiprogramming OS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.