Working of Bottom up parser
In this article, we are going to cover working of the bottom-up parser and will see how we can take input and parse it and also cover some basics of bottom-up parser.
Pre-requisite – Parsing
Bottom-up parser :
- It will start from string and proceed to start.
- In Bottom-up parser, Identifying the correct handle (substring) is always difficult.
- It will follow rightmost derivation in reverse order.
In bottom-up parser, no variable that’s why not have any derivation from the bottom but in reverse order it is looking like top-down, when you have rightmost derivation.
Working of Bottom-up parser :
Let’s consider an example where grammar is given and you need to construct a parse tree by using bottom-up parser technique.
S -> aABe A -> Abc | b B -> d
Now, let’s consider the input to read and to construct a parse tree with bottom-up approach.
Now, you will see that how bottom-up approach works. Here, you will see how you can generate a input string from the grammar for bottom-up approach.
- First, you can start with A -> b.
- Now, expand A -> Abc.
- After that Expand B-> d.
- In the last, just expand the S -> aABe
- Final string, you will get abbcde.
Given below is the Diagram explanation for constructing bottom-up parse tree. You can see clearly in the diagram how you can generate the input string using grammar with bottom-up approach.
From the above explanation and diagram, you can clearly see and can say it follows reverse of the rightmost derivation.