In Python, we generally wish to remove the duplicate elements, but sometimes for several specific usecases, we require to have remove just the elements repeated in succession. This is a quite easy task and having a shorthand for it can be useful. Let’s discuss certain ways in which this task can be performed.
Method #1 : Using
groupby() + list comprehension
Using the groupby function, we can group the together occurring elements as one and can remove all the duplicates in succession and just let one element be in the list.
The original list is : [1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 3, 9] The list after removing consecutive duplicates : [1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 9]
Method #2 : Using
zip_longest() + list comprehension
This function can be used to keep the element and delete the successive elements with the use of slicing. The zip_longest function does the task of getting the values together in the one list.
The original list is : [1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 3, 9] List after removing consecutive duplicates : [1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 9]
- Python - Remove alternate consecutive duplicates
- Python groupby method to remove all consecutive duplicates
- Python Remove Duplicates from a List
- Python | Consecutive duplicates all elements deletion in list
- Python | Remove duplicates from nested list
- Python - Ways to remove duplicates from list
- Python | Remove all duplicates and permutations in nested list
- Python | Sort given list by frequency and remove duplicates
- Python - Ways to print longest consecutive list without considering duplicates element
- Python | Remove duplicates based on Kth element tuple list
- Python | Remove duplicates in Matrix
- Remove all duplicates from a given string in Python
- Python - Remove Kth Index Duplicates in Tuple
- Python | Remove all duplicates words from a given sentence
- Python - Remove Equilength and Equisum Tuple Duplicates
- Python | Merging duplicates to list of list
- Python | Remove Consecutive tuple according to key
- Python - Remove Consecutive K element records
- Python - List product excluding duplicates
- Python - Difference of List keeping duplicates
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.