In Python, we generally wish to remove the duplicate elements, but sometimes for several specific usecases, we require to have remove just the elements repeated in succession. This is a quite easy task and having a shorthand for it can be useful. Let’s discuss certain ways in which this task can be performed.
Method #1 : Using
groupby() + list comprehension
Using the groupby function, we can group the together occurring elements as one and can remove all the duplicates in succession and just let one element be in the list.
The original list is : [1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 3, 9] The list after removing consecutive duplicates : [1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 9]
Method #2 : Using
zip_longest() + list comprehension
This function can be used to keep the element and delete the successive elements with the use of slicing. The zip_longest function does the task of getting the values together in the one list.
The original list is : [1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 3, 9] List after removing consecutive duplicates : [1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 4, 3, 9]
- Python groupby method to remove all consecutive duplicates
- Python | Remove Duplicates from a List
- Python | Ways to remove duplicates from list
- Python | Remove all duplicates and permutations in nested list
- Remove all duplicates from a given string in Python
- Python | Remove all duplicates words from a given sentence
- Python | Program to count duplicates in a list of tuples
- Python | Program to print duplicates from a list of integers
- Python | Remove all values from a list present in other list
- Python list remove()
- Python | Average of each n-length consecutive segment in a list
- Python | Remove last K elements of list
- Python | Remove None values from list
- Remove multiple elements from a list in Python
- Python | Remove and print every third from list until it becomes empty
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.