Summarization is a useful tool for varied textual applications that aims to highlight important information within a large corpus. With the outburst of information on the web, Python provides some handy tools to help summarize a text. This article provides an overview of the two major categories of approaches followed – extractive and abstractive. In this article, we shall look at a working example of extractive summarization.
Below is the algorithm implemented in the
gensim library, called “TextRank”, which is based on PageRank algorithm for ranking search results.
- Pre-process the given text. This includes stop words removal, punctuation removal and stemming.
- Make a graph with sentences are the vertices.
- The graph has edges denoting the similarity between the two sentences at the vertices.
- Run PageRank algorithm on this weighted graph.
- Pick the highest scoring vertices and append them to the summary.
- Based on the ratio or the word count, the number of vertices to be picked is decided.
Code : Summarizes a Wikipedia article based on (a) ratio and (b) word count.
Percent summary Amitabh Bachchan (pronounced [?m??ta?b? ?b?t???n]; born Inquilaab Srivastava; 11 October 1942) is an Indian film actor, film producer, television host, occasional playback singer and former politician. He first gained popularity in the early 1970s for films such as Zanjeer, Deewaar and Sholay, and was dubbed India's "angry young man" for his on-screen roles in Bollywood. . . . Apart from National Film Awards, Filmfare Awards and other competitive awards which Bachchan won for his performances throughout the years, he has been awarded several honours for his achievements in the Indian film industry.
Word count summary Beyond the Indian subcontinent, he also has a large overseas following in markets including Africa (such as South Africa), the Middle East (especially Egypt), United Kingdom, Russia and parts of the United States. Bachchan has won numerous accolades in his career, including four National Film Awards as Best Actor and many awards at international film festivals and award ceremonies. . . . After a three year stint in politics from 1984 to 1987, Bachchan returned to films in 1988, playing the title role in Shahenshah, which was a box office success.
- Convert Text and Text File to PDF using Python
- Python: Convert Speech to text and text to Speech
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Text detection using Python
- UwU text convertor in Python
- Text Preprocessing in Python | Set 2
- Python | Text Summarizer
- Text Analysis in Python 3
- Python - Filtering text using Enchant
- Wand text() function in Python
- Python - Tokenize text using Enchant
- Python | Text to Speech by using pyttsx3
- Python - Chunking text using Enchant
- Python | Tokenize text using TextBlob
- Python | Merge two text files
- Extract text from PDF File using Python
- Python PIL | ImageDraw.Draw.text()
- Convert Text to Speech in Python
- response.text - Python requests
- Tokenize text using NLTK in python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.