Project Title : Sign Language Translator for Speech-impaired
Introduction: The main objective is to translate sign language to text/speech. The framework provides a helping-hand for speech-impaired to communicate with the rest of the world using sign language. This leads to the elimination of the middle person who generally acts as a medium of translation. This would contain a user-friendly environment for the user by providing speech/text output for a sign gesture input.
1. The user uses various buttons of the application in the system to operate it.
a. START BUTTON: – This would start the application and hence the user (speech-impaired person) would give input to the application through gestures.
b. PAUSE BUTTON: – This would cause the application to pause and briefly stop accepting input.
c. RESUME BUTTON: – This would make the application to continue accepting input after a brief pause.
d. STOP BUTTON: – This would make the application to stop and hence user can close the application.
2. Input for the application would be provided by any camera attached to the system to recognize gestures.
1. Output would be provided for various gestures in a separate window in the form of text.
2. Text output can further be converted into speech using text-to-speech converter for
further smooth communication.
Data structures and Algorithms:
1. Rule Based Classifier
2. Background subtraction method by detecting the color of skin using HSV (Hue
Saturation Value) model.
The detection of fingers and palm is based on the method described in the journal The Scientific World Journal Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 267872 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/267872). After detection of fingers and palm, hand signs can be recognized using simple rule classifier i.e. we will map every possible hand sign with an appropriate label and then we will capture images and match them with the labels. The sequence of labels will be stored in our database which will be based on American Sign Language. Then by matching the sequence of labels with our database, we will predict what the person is trying to convey and appropriately convert the sign language into text which in further steps can be converted to speech using Google’s Text-to-speech API
Tools Used: OpenCV, python3, matplotlib, mySQL, MATLAB.
Application: The main application of this project is to provide aid for the speech-impaired to communicate with
those who do not know the sign language. Due to the simplicity of the model, it can also be implemented in smartphones and is regarded as our future plan to do so.
REFERENCE: Scientific World Journal Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 267872
College: National Institute of Technology, Agartala
Mr. Parthasarathi De, Assistant Professor NIT –Agartala
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org / Contact: 08731812590
TEAM MEMBERS :
1. SATYA PRAKASH 2. KAPIL KUMAR AHUJA
3. RAHUL THAKUR 4. VAMSI KRISHNA PENDYALA
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Project Idea | Audio to Sign Language Translator
- Project Idea | (Project Approval System)
- Morse Code Translator In Python
- Project Idea | (A.T.L.A.S: App Time Limit Alerting System)
- Project Idea | (Remote Lab Assistance)
- Project Idea | (Model based Image Compression of Medical Images)
- Project Idea | (Personalized real-time update system)
- Project Idea | ( Character Recognition from Image )
- Project Idea | (Static Code Checker for C++)
- Project Idea | (CSE Webnode)
- Project Idea | (Optimization of Object-Based Image Analysis with Super-Pixel for Land Cover Mapping)
- Project Idea | (Online Course Registration)
- Project Idea | (Trip Planner)
- Project Idea | (Online UML Designing Tool)
- Project Idea | (Detection of Malicious Network activity)
- Project Idea | (Games using Hand Gestures)
- Project Idea | (Dynamic Hand Gesture Recognition using neural network)
- Project Idea | ( Client Master)
- Project Idea | (Universal Database Viewer)
- Project Idea| (Magical Hangouts: An Android Messaging App)
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai