A voice dependent email system is an android solution which allows the user to send and receive emails without using any visual features, which means everything can be done by voice commands. This application is designed and engineered especially for people with visual disabilities. According to a survey, around 250 million and more visually challenged or visually impaired are present in this world. That means around 250 million people are deprived or unaware of the science boon i.e. Internet. They are fully dependent on the people with sight for their work. They are unable to use the internet and many facilities provided by it. Among that the main and basic feature is sending and reading mails. People who are visually impaired cannot access the normal type of email system so they have to depend on others, but this application will enable them to send and receive emails with voice commands and minimal action which can be carried out by themselves. So by using this voice-based email system, they can take a step forward to independently use the benefits of the internet. This application is also useful for normal people who don’t like to type so much, they can just use this application to compose a whole email by voice commands only. Project WE-Talk is a sort of aid to the visually impaired people by giving them access to the basic and mandatory features of the internet i.e. emails.
- IDE- Android Studio
- Primary Language- Java
- Text to Speech library
- SpeechRecognizer library
- JavaMail API
The Flow of The Project
Let’s first discuss the tools and libraries used in building this module of the project.
- Android Studio: According to the official documentation of Android “Android Studio provides the fastest tools for building apps on every type of Android device”.It comes preloaded with many necessary and adequate tools and libraries for application development for android. Android covers around 80% of the present market, so it is preferred more and more to provide a huge market to any product and project. We can develop the application in native language for android ie, Java, and Kotlin. In this project the used language is Java.
- Text To Speech Library: According to the official documentation of Android “Synthesizes speech from the text for immediate playback or to create a sound file”.
- SpeechRecognizer Library: This provides the access to the speech recognizer service in android. Due to this service, we can access the speech recognizer
- JavaMail API: The JavaMail API gives a protocol-independent and platform-independent framework for building messaging and mail applications. Here in this project, It helps to send mails within our application without opening any other mail application such as Gmail as an intermediate.
- In this project, the Application opens with a welcome screen made up of text views and image views as the user interface. The text to speech feature instructs the user using voice to proceed.
- The next page in a similar way asks the user to open inbox or compose the mail. In this intent or activity, the user responds with touch gestures.
- The touch gesture or the on-click listener helps the user to navigate among the activities of the application and respond to the application’s instruction.
- If the user has responded to the inbox option, the application takes the user to the inbox activity or intent where the message is read a lot to the user using the Text to Speech Feature.
- If the user has responded to the compose option, the application takes the user to the intent or activity where the user first gives the receipt email id by clicking on the mic as instructed by the application.
- The voice input is recorded using SpeechRecognizer and is stored in a textbox. Further, the application takes the input from the user in a similar way for the subject and message for the mail.
- In the final activity, the user is asked to confirm and touch the screen as instructed to send the mail using the JavaMail API and finally get the confirmation in the alert box.