Solution: Looking closely at the chessboard we can see that in addition to the 1 x 1 squares, there can be a combination of 2 x 2, 3 x 3, 4 x 4, 5 x 5, 6 x 6, 7 x 7, and 8 x 8 squares too. To get the total number of squares we need to find all the squares formed.
1 x 1: 8 * 8 = 64 squares. 2 x 2: 7 * 7 = 49 squares. 3 x 3: 6 * 6 = 36 squares. 4 x 4: 5 * 5 = 25 squares. 5 x 5: 4 * 4 = 16 squares. 6 x 6: 3 * 3 = 9 squares. 7 x 7: 2 * 2 = 4 squares. 8 x 8: 1 * 1 = 1 square.
Therefore, we have in all = 64 + 49 + 36 + 25 + 16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 204 squares in a chessboard.
Given an n x n grid, count squares in it.
Input: n = 2 Output: 5 (4 squares of 1 unit + 1 square of 2 units) Input: n = 3 Output: 14 (9 squares of 1 unit + 4 square of 2 units + 1 square of 1 unit)
For a grid of size n*n the total number of squares formed are:
1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... + n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1) / 6
Below is the implementation of the above formula. Since the value of n*(n+1)*(2n+1) can cause overflow for large values of n, below are some interesting tricks used in the program.
- long int is used in return.
- n * (n + 1) / 2 is evaluated first as the value n*(n+1) will always be a multiple of 2.
Note that overflow may still happen, but above tricks just reduce chances of overflow.
Count of squares is 30
This article is contributed by Rishabh. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Count squares with odd side length in Chessboard
- Program to count number of distinct Squares and Cubes upto N
- Find the number of squares inside the given square grid
- Puzzle | Dividing a Square into N smaller squares
- Minimum number of squares whose sum equals to given number n
- Minimum number of squares whose sum equals to given number N | set 2
- Find K numbers with sum equal to N and sum of their squares maximized
- Find a point that lies inside exactly K given squares
- Find the side of the squares which are inclined diagonally and lined in a row
- Program to find the Nth Prime Number
- Program to find absolute value of a given number
- Program to find the Nth number of the series 2, 10, 24, 44, 70.....
- Program to find the Nth Harmonic Number
- Program to find the next prime number
- Program to find Cullen Number