Given two numbers n and x, we need to calculate the smallest value of x that is closest to given number n.
Input : n = 9, x = 4 Output : 8 Input : n = 2855, x = 13 Output : 2860 Input : n = 46426171, x = 43 Output : 46426154 Input : n = 1, x = 3 Output : 3
We need to find a k such that x*k is closest to n. If we do k = n/x, we get a value of k that may not lead to maximum. We can get closest by comparing the values floor(n/x) * x and ceil(n/x) * x.
Below is an interesting solution that doesn’t require computations of floor(n/x) and ceil(n/x). The idea is to do following two steps.
n = n + x/2; n = n - (n%x); result = n
Let us consider below example
n = 2855 x = 13 n = 2855 + 13/2 = 2861 n = 2861 - (2861 % 13) = 2861 - 1 = 2860
Below are implementations of above steps.
This article is contributed by Pramod Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find multiple of x closest to or a ^ b (a raised to power b)
- Find the multiple of x which is closest to a^b
- Find the closest and smaller tidy number
- Find the number closest to n and divisible by m
- Queries to find the future closest date
- Find number from given list for which value of the function is closest to A
- Minimum absolute difference of a number and its closest prime
- Closest perfect square and its distance
- Closest sum partition (into two subsets) of numbers from 1 to n
- Bitwise AND of sub-array closest to K
- Find a triplet in an array whose sum is closest to a given number
- Find closest integer with the same weight
- Find the K closest points to origin using Priority Queue
- Minimum number closest to N made up of odd digits only
- Find K Closest Points to the Origin
- Find the greater number closest to N having at most one non-zero digit
- Closest value to K from an unsorted array
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- Check if a number is multiple of 5 without using / and % operators
- Multiple Inheritance in C++