Prerequisites: Hierarchical Clustering
The process of Hierarchical Clustering involves either clustering sub-clusters(data points in the first iteration) into larger clusters in a bottom-up manner or dividing a larger cluster into smaller sub-clusters in a top-down manner. During both the types of hierarchical clustering, the distance between two sub-clusters needs to be computed. The different types of linkages describe the different approaches to measure the distance between two sub-clusters of data points. The different types of linkages are:-
1. Single Linkage: For two clusters R and S, the single linkage returns the minimum distance between two points i and j such that i belongs to R and j belongs to S.
2. Complete Linkage: For two clusters R and S, the single linkage returns the maximum distance between two points i and j such that i belongs to R and j belongs to S.
3. Average Linkage: For two clusters R and S, first for the distance between any data-point i in R and any data-point j in S and then the arithmetic mean of these distances are calculated. Average Linkage returns this value of the arithmetic mean.
– Number of data-points in R
– Number of data-points in S
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course