Prerequisite: K-means clustering
The internet is filled with huge amounts of data in the form of images. People upload millions of pictures every day on social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook and cloud storage platforms such as google drive, etc. With such large amounts of data, image compression techniques become important to compress the images and reduce storage space.
In this article, we will look at image compression using K-means clustering algorithm which is an unsupervised learning algorithm.
An image is made up of several intensity values known as Pixels. In a colored image, each pixel is of 3 bytes containing RGB (Red-Blue-Green) values having Red intensity value, then Blue and then Green intensity value for each pixel.
K-means clustering will group similar colors together into ‘k’ clusters (say k=64) of different colors (RGB values). Therefore, each cluster centroid is the representative of the color vector in RGB color space of its respective cluster. Now, these ‘k’ cluster centroids will replace all the color vectors in their respective clusters. Thus, we need to only store the label for each pixel which tells the cluster to which this pixel belongs. Additionally, we keep the record of color vectors of each cluster center.
Libraries needed –
-> Numpy library:
sudo pip3 install numpy.
-> Matplotlib library:
sudo pip3 install matplotlib.
-> scipy library:
sudo pip3 install scipy
Below is the Python implementation :
- Elbow Method for optimal value of k in KMeans
- DBSCAN Clustering in ML | Density based clustering
- ML | Hierarchical clustering (Agglomerative and Divisive clustering)
- Difference between CURE Clustering and DBSCAN Clustering
- Image Compression using Huffman Coding
- Image Segmentation using K Means Clustering
- Project Idea | (Model based Image Compression of Medical Images)
- Image Processing in Java | Set 3 (Colored image to greyscale image conversion)
- Image Processing in Java | Set 4 (Colored image to Negative image conversion)
- Image Processing in Java | Set 6 (Colored image to Sepia image conversion)
- Analysis of test data using K-Means Clustering in Python
- Implementing Agglomerative Clustering using Sklearn
- ML | OPTICS Clustering Implementing using Sklearn
- Compression of GIF images
- K means Clustering - Introduction
- Clustering in R Programming
- Clustering in Machine Learning
- Different Types of Clustering Algorithm
- ML | Unsupervised Face Clustering Pipeline
- ML | Determine the optimal value of K in K-Means Clustering
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.