Given two integers X and Y, the task is to find the maximum number of points of intersection possible among X circles and Y straight lines.
Input: X = 4, Y = 4
4 lines intersect each other at 6 points and 4 circles intersect each other at maximum of 12 points.
Each line intersects 4 circles at 8 points.
Hence, 4 lines intersect four circles at a maximum of 32 points.
Thus, required number of intersections = 6 + 12 + 32 = 50.
Input: X = 3, Y = 4
It can be observed that there are three types of intersections:
- The number of ways to choose a pair of points from X circles is . Each such pair intersect at most two points.
- The number of ways to choose a pair of points from Y lines is . Each such pair intersect in at most one point.
- The number of ways to choose one circle and one line from X circles and Y lines is is . Each such pair intersect in at most two points.
So, the maximum number of point of intersection can be calculated as:
Thus, formula to find maximum number of point of intersection of X circles and Y straight lines is:
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(1)
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
- Puzzle | Connect 9 circles each arranged at center of a Matrix using 3 straight lines
- Count of different straight lines with total n points with m collinear
- Maximum points of intersection n circles
- Maximum points of intersection n lines
- Python - Find the maximum number of triangles with given points on three lines
- Count of intersections of M line segments with N vertical lines in XY plane
- Check whether two straight lines are orthogonal or not
- Check if given two straight lines are identical or not
- Check if three straight lines are concurrent or not
- Count of rectangles possible from N and M straight lines parallel to X and Y axis respectively
- Represent a given set of points by the best possible straight line
- Check whether a straight line can be formed using N co-ordinate points
- Maximum number of line intersections formed through intersection of N planes
- Minimum lines to cover all points
- Non-crossing lines to connect points in a circle
- Number of lines from given N points not parallel to X or Y axis
- Find whether only two parallel lines contain all coordinates points or not
- Number of triangles formed from a set of points on three lines
- Number of pairs of lines having integer intersection points
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two direct common tangents to the circles
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.