MakeMyTrip Interview Experience for Software Engineer
Status: New grad, BE COE Tier-1 College
Position: SDE at MMT
Location: Gurgaon / Bangalore
Date: August , 2020
Round 1 : Online Assessment on HackerEarth
8 MCQs and 2 Algorithmic Coding Question.
- You are given the coordinates (x,y). Initially, you are at (1,1) and are required to go to (x,y) using the following rule: If the current position is (a,b) then in the next move, you can move only to (a+b,b) or (a,a+b).
Write a program to check if you can reach (x,y) using only the described moves.
Constraints: 1<= T <= 10^5 , 1<= x,y<= 10^18
Hint : Find the gcd(x,y).
- You are given N nodes. There are N-1 connecting edges between any 2 nodes. Each node has a value denoted by array A.
Write a program to divide the tree along an edge i so as to minimise the difference between the sums of the node values on either side of the edge.
Link : https://www.hackerrank.com/challenges/cut-the-tree/problem ( Similar problem but in the question you were supposed to find the edge which gives the min abs difference and not the difference)
Round 2 : Technical Interview – 1
There were 3 DS based questions, all of which were live-coded on codepair.
- It was a path finding problem in binary matrix solved by backtracking. Similar to https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/longest-possible-route-in-a-matrix-with-hurdles/.
- It was a hashmap-based problem where you were given 2 arrays and were supposed to print the pairs resulting to a given number K.
- Check if a binary tree is a BST or not.
Some Discussion on OOPs concepts:
- What are the 4 major OOPs conepts?
- Explain all of them with examples.
- Cache Memory.
- Critical Section Problem.
- Mutex vs Semaphore.
Round 3 : Technical Interview – 2
This round started with a discussion on the projects listed in my resume and on my summer intern.
- Then the interviewer asked which OS do i use. I use Linux so he asked me some questions related to shell commands which i was able to answer more or less.
- Then there was one DS question to find the longest repeating substring in a string. I gave a brute force approach and then optimized it using hashmaps. The interviewer seemed satisfied.
- Then another question on DS : Given an array arr, find the maximum j – i such that arr[j] > arr[i].
I gave O(n) time and O(n) space approach.
The interview ended.
Round 4 : HR Round
It was just a 5 minute call with the HR. It was more of a formality after which i was offered a position.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google , E-Litmus and Microsoft Test Serieses.