Introduction: When it comes to share any type of information or you can say blog posts whether it is related to some kind of discussion, reports, political views, traveling experiences, techy reviews, or anything.
You will definitely hear about WordPress, which is used by most bloggers for making blog websites to share information on the World Wide Web. But with the help of new web technologies, it has now become very easy for new individuals to design and implement their own and unique web pages, especially for their blogs. So here in this post, we’ll look at how we can set up our own and unique blog website with the help of the Jekyll theme and why you should choose Jekyll over WordPress.
What is Jekyll ?
- Jekyll theme is a static website generator that is designed for building minimal, static blogs and pages to be hosted on GitHub Pages. With the help of Jekyll, it strips everything down to the bare minimum, eliminating a lot of complexity. We can easily transform our plain text into static website pages and blogs.
What is WordPress ?
- Simply, WordPress is a web publishing software that is used to create beautiful websites or blog websites.
- On a more high level, WordPress is a content management system written in PHP that uses a MySQL database. In Layman’s language, WordPress is the simplest and most powerful blogging and website builder as WordPress powers over 43% of all the websites on the Internet in existence today plus WordPress is an open-source content management system licensed under GPLv2.
- The best part of WordPress is you can create any type of website with WordPress from blog websites to e-commerce to business and portfolio websites or anything.
- I would emphasize a few things here:
- Is WordPress Extensible?
- Yes, WordPress is extensible
- Even if you aren’t a developer, you can easily create your own website thanks to WordPress’s functionality of themes and plugins which will help you to change your website looks and functioning
- WordPress Is very easy to install
- Don’t worry if you aren’t a developer, you only need to click a few buttons to install WordPress on your site.
- WordPress Is Flexible plus you can easily find support
- Alternatives of WordPress
- There are a plethora of WordPress alternatives that offer a simpler plus flexible approach depending on your needs, following is a list of WordPress alternatives:
- Is WordPress Extensible?
Jekyll VS WordPress
- Jekyll is a static blog generator. Jekyll is ideal for you if you are new to the game, it’s free, it’s easy to use, fast & light, secure and there are many more reasons for you to use Jekyll.
- There are so few reasons not to use Jekyll over WordPress. It has a minimalistic approach yet you can find almost everything you want thanks to its huge community & theme selection. It is easy to use as it allows you to use almost all the text editors out there.
- Another reason for using Jekyll as your default hosting platform is that it’s a lot fast than WordPress. Unlike WordPress, it won’t crash when there’s a lot of traffic on our website.
- If you are a beginner Jekyll is the way to go as hosting is cheaper compared to WordPress and it’s free if you use your GitHub repository for hosting your website. You get markdown support and you can easily minify & compress assets.
- WordPress is very prone to hacker attacks and malware, whereas Jekyll websites are Static and aren’t easy to hack because it’s not a dynamic file that can be exploited. In case something goes wrong recovery is an easy process just upload the local files on your computer back to the servers.
- To keep your WordPress website/blog up and running, you better be up-to-date with all the plugins on the other hand Jekyll creates static files like HTML and CSS on your local computer without any server-side plugins.
Jekyll gives you complete control meaning you and only you are responsible for each & every feature and fault.