Pygame is a set of python module which is used in designing video games. In Pygame, there are computer graphics and sound libraries in order to develop high quality and user interactive games. Pygame was developed by Pete Shinners. Till 2000, it was a community project, later on it was released under open source free software General Public License.
Active road-map of Pygame version 2 development :
- 2019-5-5 pre-release Dev.1
- 2019-6-20 pre-release Dev.2
- 2019-7-14 pre-release Dev.3
- 2019-10-8 pre-release Dev.4
- 2019-10-28 pre-release Dev.6
- 2020-5-6 pre-release Dev.8
- 2020-5-31 pre-release Dev.10
Here are some facts about Pygame that may amaze you :
- In order to replace PySDL, Pygame came into existence.
- Pygame is truly portable, it’s code can be run on a different operating system like Linux, Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX.
- Pygame uses optimized C and Assembly codes for its functioning.
- Pygame is free and released under a GPL license. It is possible to create open-source, free, freeware, shareware, and commercial games with it.
- Pygame has built-in Silliness. As well as new silliness is added to it after every 3.1415 seconds.
- Pygame code is written in C language, which is 10-20 times faster than python code and Assembly Language which is 100x or more times faster than python code.
- Pygame comes with installers (and uninstallers) for Windows or macOS.
- There is no need to install setuptools, or ctypes in Python. There is no need for installing other packages outside your operating systems package manager.
- The pygame can be used on handheld devices from Nokia, game consoles like gp2x, and the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC).
- In 2009, Pygame version 2 was planned as “Pygame Reloaded” but its development was stopped for a long period of time.
- Py-Facts - 10 interesting facts about Python
- Interesting facts about strings in Python | Set 1
- Interesting facts about strings in Python | Set 2 (Slicing)
- Python | Display images with PyGame
- Python | Display text to PyGame window
- Python | Drawing different shapes on PyGame window
- 8-bit game using pygame
- Python | Making an object jump in PyGame
- Python | Playing audio file in Pygame
- Python - Moving an object in PyGame
- Python - Drawing design using arrow keys in PyGame
- Bubble sort visualizer using PyGame
- How to create Buttons in a game using PyGame?
- Tic Tac Toe GUI In Python using PyGame
- How to initialize all the imported modules in PyGame?
- Building and visualizing Sudoku Game Using Pygame
- Collision Detection in PyGame
- Adding Boundary to an Object in Pygame
- Binary Search Visualization using Pygame in Python
- Creating start Menu in Pygame
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.