Linux is community-developed and open source operating system for computers, servers, mainframes, embedded devices, and mobile devices. It is supported on nearly every major computer platforms including SPARC, ARM and, x86 building it as one of the most extensively supported operating systems.
Here are some facts about Linux that may interest you:
- The first ever Linux kernel just occupied only 65 KB.
- As of 2018, there are 20, 323, 379 lines of code in the Linux kernel.
- All of the 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux.
- Linux runs on everything, smartphones, servers, submarines or space rockets.
- Huawei, Intel, Google, Red Hat, Facebook, Canonical and Samsung are among the top contributors to Linux kernel development in recent years.
- Linux is written over 95% of in C language, according to data by the openhub.net website.
- Every time a kernel is released, it is given a codename. Recent codenames were “Fearless Coyote” (v4.13) and “Merciless Moray” (v4.18).
- In Japan, the bullet trains use Linux to maintain and manage the advanced Automatic Train Control system. The Linux platform is also used in the In-Vehicle-Infotainment technology (IVI) in Toyota and the other automobiles.
- We can also run our Ubuntu Phone in windowed mode with little tweaks.
- Linux has a specific place in Hollywood. The Visual effects of Avatar and Titanic were developed on Linux platform in 3D applications using the FOSS software.
- Py-Facts - 10 interesting facts about Python
- Interesting Facts about C#
- Interesting Facts about C++
- Interesting Facts about Ubuntu
- Interesting Facts About Java
- Interesting Facts About Perl
- Interesting Facts in C Programming
- Interesting Facts About Cloud Computing
- Interesting facts about Fibonacci numbers
- Interesting Facts about Macros and Preprocessors in C
- Interesting facts about null in Java
- Interesting facts about strings in Python | Set 1
- Interesting facts about data-types and modifiers in C/C++
- Interesting facts about Array assignment in Java
- Interesting facts about strings in Python | Set 2 (Slicing)
- Interesting facts about Increment and Decrement operators in Java
- Interesting Funny Commands in Linux
- Difference Between Arch Linux and Kali Linux
- Cool Technology Facts
- Unknown facts of Networking
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.