Well this can be quite disappointing from the hiring manager’s side; however the candidate can turn down an offer due to several reasons:
- The candidate has a better offer than the current one.
It’s always better to send a formal offer rejection letter even if the offer has already been turned down verbally. Following points will help you draft an offer rejection letter:
- Be prompt: Try to send the letter as soon as you make a decision. The company will need to offer the position to someone else, and you don’t want to hold up the process.
- Be courteous: Even though you have turned down this offer but you may want yourself to be considered for future opportunities. Savvy job seekers use every possible chance to network, so thank all the people you interviewed with and wish them and their company continued success.
- Be diplomatic: If you’ve received another, more generous offer, avoid mentioning the details of the position you’re accepting. Let the hiring manager know that you were impressed by the company and carefully considered the offer, but you are accepting a position that better suits your career objectives.
- Be concise: This is not the place to tout your credentials and career accomplishments. The company already realizes your value, so keep your letter short and sweet.
A sample template:
Thank you very much for offering me the XYZ position. After careful consideration, I regret that I must decline your offer. Although you were most encouraging in outlining future advancement possibilities within ABC Company, I have accepted another opportunity that is more in line with my skills and career goals.
I enjoyed meeting you and the rest of your team. You have been most kind and gracious throughout the interview process, and I only wish that circumstances allowed me to accept your offer.
Best wishes for your continued success.
- What are the different job profiles offered to a Computer Science B.E./B.Tech graduate?
- [TopTalent.in] Interview with Rizwan Hudda Who Was offered The Highest Package In India By Tower Research
- Must Do Coding Questions Company-wise
- Lowe's Company Interview Experience
- Sigmoid Analytics Company Interview Experience
- Mind-Infotech company interview experience
- Lowe's company on campus interview experience
- Tolexo (Indiamart company) Interview Experience | Set 2
- Abco Advisory Board Company | Set 2 (On-Campus)
- Internship Interview Experiences Company-Wise
- Lowe's Company Interview Experience | On Campus
- Abco Advisory Board Company | Set 3 (On-Campus Intern + FTE)
- Things every final year student should do to get a job in their dream company
- Progress Company Interview Experience | Set 1 (Senior Software Engineer)
- ABCO - Advisory Board Company (Acquired by OPTUM) Interview Experience
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.