IBM cloud is the cloud that is given by the IBM to their user it includes infrastructure as a service (IaaS), software as a service (SaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS) offered through public, private and hybrid cloud delivery models, in addition to the components that make up those clouds.
Different services that are given by the IBM Cloud :
1. IAAS (infrastructure as a service)
2. SAAS (software as a service)
3. PASS (platform as a service)
IAAS (infrastructure as a service)
The cloud computing service provider manages the infrastructure, while you purchase, install, configure, and manage your own software—operating systems, middleware, and applications.
Example : AWS (amazon web services), microsoft azure
PASS (Platform as a service)
Platform as a service (PaaS) is a cloud computing model in which a third-party provider delivers hardware and software tools usually those needed for application development to users over the internet.
Example : AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Windows Azure, Heroku, Force.com, Google App Engine, Apache Stratos
SAAS (Software as a service)
SAAS is a software distribution model in which a third-party provider hosts applications and makes them available to customers over the Internet.
Example : Office 365, Google Apps, Salesforce, Citrix GoToMeeting, Cisco WebEx and Netflix
Here IBM Bluemix is used for hosting the website.
IBM Bluemix is the service provider that provides the platform as a service. It supports several programming languages and services as well as integrated Develops to build, run, deploy and manage applications on the cloud. Bluemix is based on Cloud Foundry open technology and runs on SoftLayer infrastructure. Bluemix supports several programming languages including Java, Node.js, Go, PHP, Swift, Python, Ruby Sinatra, Ruby.
Bluemix gives a user 2GB of run-time and container memory free for 30 days, plus access to provision up to 10 services.
Cloud Foundry tool: PaaS service of bluemix.
Following are the steps to host a website on IBM cloud
- First, create an account on IBM Bluemix.
- Verify the email mentioned in the account, by clicking on the link in the mail sent from the IBM team.
- Select Cloud foundry space Dev and Location is the united kingdom. Cloud Foundry is an open source Platform as a Service (PaaS) technology.
- Use the cf command (cf: Cloud Foundry) to allocate the space on cloud and store the data like the website on the cloud.
- After that, Click on the create resume.
- If using the Windows operating system, then download the cf-installer. It helps in installing the Cloud Foundry to local machine. Then open the terminal.
- If using Linux, then just open the terminal
- Enter cf -v
- Enter cf api https://api.eu-gb.bluemix.net
This command will connect to the bluemix and show you the API endpoint and the API version.
- After that, log into the account created through terminal or cmd by typing cf login -u ********@g***l.com
- Make a folder from where the website is to be deployed on IBM cloud.
- Go to that location. For going to some location, one can also run the following command on cmd cd Location
- Now, Target the cloud foundry tool and the email from which IBM Bluemix is registered.
cf target -o *********@gmail.com -s dev
- Push the webpage to IBM by using the command
cf push -p .war
- Now the website is successfully hosted on IBM Bluemix with the name mentioned as a ToolChain.
Here, the name taken is geeksforgeeks, then the toolchain shows the name geeksforgeeks.
- The webpage given below shows a webpage that contains the string GeeksForGeeks.