Given a valid IPv4 address in the form of string and it follows Class Full addressing. The task is to determine class of given IPv4 address as well as separate Network and Host ID part from it.
Input : 126.96.36.199 Output : Given IP address belongs to Class A Network ID is 1 Host ID is 4.5.5 Input : 188.8.131.52 Output : Given IP address belongs to Class B Network ID is 130.45 Host ID is 151.154
- For determining the class: The idea is to check first octet of IP address. As we know, for class A first octet will range from 1 – 126, for class B first octet will range from 128 – 191, for class C first octet will range from 192- 223, for class D first octet will range from 224 – 239, for class E first octet will range from 240 – 255.
- For determining the Network and Host ID: We know that Subnet Mask for Class A is 8, for Class B is 16 and for Class C is 24 whereas Class D and E is not divided into Network and Host ID.
For 2nd Example, first octet is 130. So, it belongs to Class B. Class B has subnet mask of 16. So, first 16 bit or first two octet is Network ID part and rest is Host ID part.
Hence, Network ID is 130.45 and Host ID is 151.154
Given IP address belongs to Class C Network ID is 192.226.12 Host ID is 11
This article is contributed by Aditya Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Computer Network | Introduction to variable length subnet mask (VLSM)
- Computer Network | Transport Layer responsibilities
- Computer Network | Routing v/s Routed Protocols
- Transmission Modes in Computer Networks (Simplex, Half-Duplex and Full-Duplex)
- C Program to find IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway
- Java program to find IP address of your computer
- Network configuration and trouble shooting commands in Linux
- How DHCP server dynamically assigns IP address to a host?
- Deniel of Service and Prevention
- Simple Chat Room using Python
- Computer Networks | IP Addressing | Question 6
- Why does DNS use UDP and not TCP?
- IP Addressing | Classless Addressing
- IP Addressing | Introduction and Classful Addressing
- Computer Networks | Set 1