Given a valid IPv4 address in the form of string and it follows Class Full addressing. The task is to determine class of given IPv4 address as well as separate Network and Host ID part from it.
Input : 126.96.36.199 Output : Given IP address belongs to Class A Network ID is 1 Host ID is 4.5.5 Input : 188.8.131.52 Output : Given IP address belongs to Class B Network ID is 130.45 Host ID is 151.154
- For determining the class: The idea is to check first octet of IP address. As we know, for class A first octet will range from 1 – 126, for class B first octet will range from 128 – 191, for class C first octet will range from 192- 223, for class D first octet will range from 224 – 239, for class E first octet will range from 240 – 255.
- For determining the Network and Host ID: We know that Subnet Mask for Class A is 8, for Class B is 16 and for Class C is 24 whereas Class D and E is not divided into Network and Host ID.
For 2nd Example, first octet is 130. So, it belongs to Class B. Class B has subnet mask of 16. So, first 16 bit or first two octet is Network ID part and rest is Host ID part.
Hence, Network ID is 130.45 and Host ID is 151.154
Given IP address belongs to Class C Network ID is 192.226.12 Host ID is 11
This article is contributed by Aditya Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Network Layer | IPv4 Datagram Fragmentation and Delays
- Network Layer | Introduction and IPv4 Datagram Header
- Network Devices (Hub, Repeater, Bridge, Switch, Router, Gateways and Brouter)
- Computer Network | Circuit Switching VS Packet Switching
- Network Topologies | Computer Networks
- Computer Network | Leaky bucket algorithm
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Java program to find IP address of your computer
- How DHCP server dynamically assigns IP address to a host?
- Network configuration and trouble shooting commands in Linux
- Program to calculate the Round Trip Time (RTT)
- Computer Network | Types of Network address translation (NAT)
- C Program to find IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway
- Computer Network | Context based access control (CBAC)
- Computer Network | HMAC Algorithm