How to Become Google Developer Students Club (DSC) Lead ?
DSC means Developer Student Club. It is a technical community that combines all the university students, and all the other students who learn, share ideas and come up with viable projects that are likely to solve day to day universe problems supported by Google. In this article, you’ll be able to know the whole application procedure and requirements for becoming a DSC lead. So, let’s started.
What’s the eligibility criteria for becoming a DSC lead?
- You must have to be enrolled in an undergraduate program at a college or university
- You must have to be a student of either 1st year or 2nd year.
- For getting selected, you must have to be committed to the program for at least one year.
Being a DSC leads, You’ll Be Responsible For
- Making a strong technical community in your college
- Making a strong core team members for your community, who have technical expertise and experience. The members must be from your college.
- Conducting regular workshops or meetups related to computer programming and software engineering.
- To increase the awareness about Google products and technologies among peers.
- Hosting of a meetup event should be done ideally once in a month or at least in every 3 months.
- Showcasing the solutions developed by your club members in other events also or through the GDG events like Devfest.
- Empowering more students to become trainers and support them in conducting sessions.
Benefits of Being a DSC Lead
- Access to Google Developer resources and opportunities for free
- Lead a community under direct mentorship from Google
- Chance to grow personal and professional network
- Building real-life solution s to local problems in your community
- Awesome swags and goodies
- Get invitations for fully funded travelling opportunities to various events
- Be recognized as a collaborator with Google Developers
Being connected with Developer Students Club, you’ll have a chance to participate in DSC Solution Challenge.
From where I can apply?
You can apply through this link.
Application Guideline and Tips: The two most important parts of application are video and recommendation letters. Here’s some insight on both.
- You’ll have to record a 30 seconds video about yourself, why you want to have a DSC on your campus, why you would make a great DSC Lead. Add more details would help us to get to know you better. Be creative, innovative and show what you got! They’re checking here your communication as well as your level of your enthusiasm to run a community in your campus.
- Get and be ready with two recommendation letters from any of your faculty, HOD, principal or dean of your institution. Upload the same to google docs with sharing assigned as “Anyone with the link”. Choose the faculty, who knows your technical as well as impersonal skills very well and would help you in running the community after you got selected.
Here are some more tips that will increase your chances of getting in:
- You must have a decent online presence. It can be in the form of your GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter & Stack-overflow profile.
- Having a personal portfolio will also help you a lot.
- Strong technical understanding of computer programming and/or software engineering is also preferred.
- Prior contribution to DSC community in the form of core team member give you edge over other candidates.
- They are looking at your passion for creating an impact in the community. So, if you have some prior leading experience in any event at your college or you have connections to the local developer community, that will also help you.
- This is a technical community, so if you have knowledge of new techs like ML or AI or any particular domain like web development or android development, then it’ll also have a very positive impact on your application.