It was a 2 hour online test which was conducted on Hackerrank. It consisted of two coding question and one advanced coding question, 10 mcqs and two personality based questions.
- Coding Question 1: You’re given a DFA: number of states, starting state, accepting states list, it’s transition table. How many strings of length l can be accepted by it?
- Coding Question 2: It was modified Camel Banana Puzzle(https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-15-camel-and-banana-puzzle/). We had to write a code for this problem.
- Coding Question 3(Advanced): I don’t remember the problem well. There were 4 friends in a 2D matrix, each can move in any of the 4 directions(N, S, E, W). Given there initial coordinates, find the point where they should meet such that some of distance covered by each of them is minimized.
- MCQs: Questions were based on probability, differential equations, C output questions, a fibbonacii based puzzle.
- Subjective questions: When you took a decision with incomplete information? What is the biggest Challenge you faced in your life?
Interview 1: It began with a formal introduction. Then, he asked about my technical skills. He asked me people and a bridge puzzle question. Then, he asked me if I can write its code. He asked a few more puzzles followed by the their code. Then, he asked me to write some coding questions in the most optimised form. At the end, any questions for me?
Interview 2: This round also began with formal introduction. She asked me about why I want to work at Goldman sachs, a puzzle question followed by a real situation where I had to give her necessary conditions to code. Then she asked me a recursion based question.
Interview 3: He asked about if I have worked on any project. He asked about if I do competitive programming followed by my favourite coding question. Some questions about my college club, I’m working in. Then, he asked some puzzles and a probability question. Then some dbms questions based on queries. A data structure question based on tree and a optimisation based coding question (he also provided hints for the same).
Tips: Practice puzzles well because it is the inevitable part of gs interview. The stuff on geek for geek for preparing for such interviews is very useful. Go through it well.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.