It is a software that is provided to the user free of cost with the fully functional mechanism having no expiry date.
Anyone can download it from the internet and use it for free.
Here the author retains the copyright to the software.
It is a commercial software that is initially distributed free of charge but later charge payment to keep the functionality on to continue the access.
It allows the people to “try before they buy”.
|Cost||Free of cost||Free for specific period of time later on asked the user to purchase.|
|Modify source code||Not allowed covered all the copyrights.||Not allowed covered all the copyrights|
|Fully Functional||Usually||Certain features are provided for trial later on to unlock the rest features, users need to pay.|
|License and Copyright||All the copyright laws are retained.
User License or EULA(End User License Agreement)is important to the user in order to access the freeware.
|Here also copyrights holders hold all the rights.
Shareware is a more limited version and is also restricted by the license. Typically the license restricts the user from modifying, copying or distributing the shareware. After the designated trial period if the user wants to continue with the use, it is the infringement of copyright and may constitute piracy.
|Features||All features are freely available||Some features are available for free trial or have limited use. To enable the rest features, payment should be made.|
|Distribution||Free of cost distributed among the people.||May or may not be freely distributed usually requires author’s permission.|
|Access Duration time||Having no time limit||Program may only work for short duration eg 30 days.|
|Advantage||A free copyrighted software||Some features are free for trial and covered by copyright.|
|Disadvantage||Neither can sell these software nor can make any changes||It cannot be modified and it may be either a cut down or a temporary version.|
|Examples||MSN messenger, yahoo messenger, Adobe PDF,etc.||Winzip,CuteFTP, Getright,etc.|
- Which Programming Language Should I Choose as a Beginner?
- Top Machine Learning Trends in 2019
- Neuralink - A Brain-Computer Interface Technology
- Brain Machine Interface (BMI)
- How to Crack System Design Round in Interviews?
- Difference between Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Difference between Single and Multiple Inheritance in C++
- Difference between Abstraction and Encapsulation in C++
- Difference between Iterator and Enumeration in Java with Examples
- 10 Tips to Protect Your Online Data Privacy in 2019
- Difference between Public and Private in C++ with Example
- If we delete cookies of a site, we can still logged in without logging again
- 7 Common Programming Principles That Every Developer Must Follow
- SOLID Principle in Programming: Understand With Real Life Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai