It is a software that is provided to the user free of cost with the fully functional mechanism having no expiry date.
Anyone can download it from the internet and use it for free.
Here the author retains the copyright to the software.
It is a commercial software that is initially distributed free of charge but later charge payment to keep the functionality on to continue the access.
It allows the people to “try before they buy”.
|Cost||Free of cost||Free for specific period of time later on asked the user to purchase.|
|Modify source code||Not allowed covered all the copyrights.||Not allowed covered all the copyrights|
|Fully Functional||Usually||Certain features are provided for trial later on to unlock the rest features, users need to pay.|
|License and Copyright||All the copyright laws are retained.
User License or EULA(End User License Agreement)is important to the user in order to access the freeware.
|Here also copyrights holders hold all the rights.
Shareware is a more limited version and is also restricted by the license. Typically the license restricts the user from modifying, copying or distributing the shareware. After the designated trial period if the user wants to continue with the use, it is the infringement of copyright and may constitute piracy.
|Features||All features are freely available||Some features are available for free trial or have limited use. To enable the rest features, payment should be made.|
|Distribution||Free of cost distributed among the people.||May or may not be freely distributed usually requires author’s permission.|
|Access Duration time||Having no time limit||Program may only work for short duration eg 30 days.|
|Advantage||A free copyrighted software||Some features are free for trial and covered by copyright.|
|Disadvantage||Neither can sell these software nor can make any changes||It cannot be modified and it may be either a cut down or a temporary version.|
|Examples||MSN messenger, yahoo messenger, Adobe PDF,etc.||Winzip,CuteFTP, Getright,etc.|
- What is Search Engine and Google Page Ranking?
- Demur-rage currencies in Blockchain
- Role of Computers in Crime
- How does BlockChain support Crowdfunding ?
- Top 7 Free Keyword Research Tools in 2020
- What To Do After Engineering - MTech, MBA, MS or a Job?
- How to Create a Facebook Phishing Page ?
- Design Patterns: Understand The Importance With Real Life Examples
- V-Sync, FreeSync and G-Sync
- How To Become A Web Developer in 2020 - A Complete Guide
- Internet of Things and careers in IoT
- A simple understanding of Computer
- Dark Web Analytics and Interesting Facts Behind its Anonymity
- 5 Ways to Make Money With Your Blog
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai