Given a matrix that is filled with ‘O’, ‘G’, and ‘W’ where ‘O’ represents open space, ‘G’ represents guards and ‘W’ represents walls in a Bank. Replace all of the O’s in the matrix with their shortest distance from a guard, without being able to go through any walls. Also, replace the guards with 0 and walls with -1 in output matrix.
Expected Time complexity is O(MN) for a M x N matrix.
O ==> Open Space G ==> Guard W ==> Wall Input: O O O O G O W W O O O O O W O G W W W O O O O O G Output: 3 3 2 1 0 2 -1 -1 2 1 1 2 3 -1 2 0 -1 -1 -1 1 1 2 2 1 0
The idea is to do BFS. We first enqueue all cells containing the guards and loop till queue is not empty. For each iteration of the loop, we dequeue the front cell from the queue and for each of its four adjacent cells, if cell is an open area and its distance from guard is not calculated yet, we update its distance and enqueue it. Finally after BFS procedure is over, we print the distance matrix.
Below are implementation of above idea –
3 3 2 1 0 2 -1 -1 2 1 1 2 3 -1 2 0 -1 -1 -1 1 1 2 2 1 0
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find the shortest distance between any pair of two different good nodes
- Shortest distance between two cells in a matrix or grid
- Find shortest safe route in a path with landmines
- Find count of pair of nodes at even distance
- Some interesting shortest path questions | Set 1
- Shortest Path using Meet In The Middle
- Shortest path in an unweighted graph
- Multistage Graph (Shortest Path)
- Shortest paths from all vertices to a destination
- Shortest path in a Binary Maze
- Dijkstra’s shortest path algorithm using set in STL
- Dijkstra's Shortest Path Algorithm using priority_queue of STL
- Dijkstra's shortest path with minimum edges
- Johnson's algorithm for All-pairs shortest paths
- Shortest cycle in an undirected unweighted graph
Improved By : mohit kumar 29