Given a Binary Search Tree, find median of it.
If no. of nodes are even: then median = ((n/2th node + (n+1)/2th node) /2
If no. of nodes are odd : then median = (n+1)/2th node.
Given BST(with odd no. of nodes) is : 6 / \ 3 8 / \ / \ 1 4 7 9 Inorder of Given BST will be : 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 So, here median will 6. Given BST(with even no. of nodes) is : 6 / \ 3 8 / \ / 1 4 7 Inorder of Given BST will be : 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 So, here median will (4+6)/2 = 5.
Asked in : Google
To find the median, we need to find the Inorder of the BST because its Inorder will be in sorted order and then find the median i.e.
The idea is based on K’th smallest element in BST using O(1) Extra Space
The task is very simple if we are allowed to use extra space but Inorder traversal using recursion and stack both uses Space which is not allowed here. So, the solution is to do Morris Inorder traversal as it doesn’t require any extra space.
Implementation: 1- Count the no. of nodes in the given BST using Morris Inorder Traversal. 2- Then Perform Morris Inorder traversal one more time by counting nodes and by checking if count is equal to the median point. To consider even no. of nodes an extra pointer pointing to the previous node is used.
Median of BST is 50
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find k-th smallest element in BST (Order Statistics in BST)
- Two nodes of a BST are swapped, correct the BST
- K'th Largest Element in BST when modification to BST is not allowed
- Convert a normal BST to Balanced BST
- Two nodes of a BST are swapped, correct the BST | Set-2
- K'th smallest element in BST using O(1) Extra Space
- K'th Largest element in BST using constant extra space
- Print BST keys in given Range | O(1) Space
- Find duplicates in O(n) time and O(1) extra space | Set 1
- Find the maximum repeating number in O(n) time and O(1) extra space
- Finding Median of unsorted Array in linear time using C++ STL
- Rearrange positive and negative numbers in O(n) time and O(1) extra space
- Design a stack that supports getMin() in O(1) time and O(1) extra space
- Find median in row wise sorted matrix
- Find the median array for Binary tree
- Find last two remaining elements after removing median of any 3 consecutive elements repeatedly
- Find the length of the median of a Triangle if length of sides are given
- Find K elements whose absolute difference with median of array is maximum
- Efficiently design Insert, Delete and Median queries on a set
- Program for Mean and median of an unsorted array