MS Excel columns has a pattern like A, B, C, … ,Z, AA, AB, AC,…. ,AZ, BA, BB, … ZZ, AAA, AAB ….. etc. In other words, column 1 is named as “A”, column 2 as “B”, column 27 as “AA”.
Given a column number, find its corresponding Excel column name. Following are more examples.
Input Output 26 Z 51 AY 52 AZ 80 CB 676 YZ 702 ZZ 705 AAC
Thanks to Mrigank Dembla for suggesting the below solution in a comment.
Suppose we have a number n, let’s say 28. so corresponding to it we need to print the column name. We need to take remainder with 26.
If remainder with 26 comes out to be 0 (meaning 26, 52 and so on) then we put ‘Z’ in the output string and new n becomes n/26 -1 because here we are considering 26 to be ‘Z’ while in actual it’s 25th with respect to ‘A’.
Similarly if the remainder comes out to be non zero. (like 1, 2, 3 and so on) then we need to just insert the char accordingly in the string and do n = n/26.
Finally we reverse the string and print.
n = 700
Remainder (n%26) is 24. So we put ‘X’ in output string and n becomes n/26 which is 26.
Remainder (26%26) is 0. So we put ‘Z’ in output string and n becomes n/26 -1 which is 0.
Following is C++ implementation of above approach.
Z AY AZ CB YZ ZZ AAC
Related Article :
Find Excel column number from column title
This article is contributed by Kartik. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Find Excel column number from column title
- Print an N x M matrix such that each row and column has all the vowels in it
- Removing row or column wise duplicates from matrix of characters
- Count Negative Numbers in a Column-Wise and Row-Wise Sorted Matrix
- Check if a grid can become row-wise and column-wise sorted after adjacent swaps
- Print all elements in sorted order from row and column wise sorted matrix
- Kth smallest element in a row-wise and column-wise sorted 2D array | Set 1
- Search in a row wise and column wise sorted matrix
- Given a number as a string, find the number of contiguous subsequences which recursively add up to 9
- Given a number as a string, find the number of contiguous subsequences which recursively add up to 9 | Set 2
- Find the smallest number whose digits multiply to a given number n
- Find the maximum number of composite summands of a number
- Find the number of integers x in range (1,N) for which x and x+1 have same number of divisors
- Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times
- Find nth Hermite number