Given two integers A and B, the task is to find an integer X such that (X XOR A) is minimum possible and the count of set bit in X is equal to the count of set bits in B.
Input: A = 3, B = 5
Binary(A) = Binary(3) = 011
Binary(B) = Binary(5) = 101
The XOR will be minimum when M = 3
i.e. (3 XOR 3) = 0 and the number
of set bits in 3 is equal
to the number of set bits in 5.
Input: A = 7, B = 12
Approach: It is known that the xor of an element with itself is 0. So, try to generate M’s binary representation as close to A as possible. Traverse from the most significant bit in A to the least significant bit and if a bit is set at the current position then it also needs to be set in the required number in order to minimize the XOR but the number of bits set has to be equal to the number of set bits in B. So, when the count of set bits in the required number has reached the count of set bits in B then the rest of the bits have to be 0.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(log(N))
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Count minimum bits to flip such that XOR of A and B equal to C
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Count pairs with set bits sum equal to K
- Count pairs in an array such that both elements has equal set bits
- Find the minimum number of operations required to make all array elements equal
- Find the node whose sum with X has minimum set bits
- Total character pairs from two strings, with equal number of set bits in their ascii value
- Count Set-bits of number using Recursion
- Count total bits in a number
- Count pairs (A, B) such that A has X and B has Y number of set bits and A+B = C
- Count unset bits of a number
- Minimum flips required to maximize a number with k set bits
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B | Set-2
- Count pairs of elements such that number of set bits in their AND is B[i]
- Count pairs of elements such that number of set bits in their OR is B[i]
- Count of pairs in an Array with same number of set bits
- Count number of bits changed after adding 1 to given N
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B
- Program to count number of set bits in an (big) array
- Count number of set bits in a range using bitset
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.