Computer Network is a system in which multiple nodes are connected to each other to share information and resources. Computer network allows to share resources between different nodes connected within it.
Computer Network Elements: The objects basically used in computer network are known as Computer Network Elements (CNEs). There are basically 4 computer networking elements:
- Transmission medium (wired or wireless)
- Network software
All the elements of computer network are described below:
A computer is a digital device that is able to accept data as input, process that data using predefined algorithms and data structures, and perform tasks as output – that includes the transformation of raw data into information, then knowledge, and finally insight about the data’s domain.The output also takes the form of the performance of physical tasks along with data storage, data transformation and data retrieval. Network is also formed by computers for the purposes of data interchange and leveraging a distributed programming model for parallel processing.
2. Transmission medium:
The means through which we send our data from one place to another is known as Transmission medium.
Signals are used to represent data by computers and other telecommunication devices. The signals (i.e., data or information) are transmitted in the form of electromagnetic energy from one device to another. These signals travel through vacuum, air or other transmission mediums to move from one point to another (from sender to receiver).
Transmission medium is of two types:
- (i) Wired or Guided: For example, Twisted Pair Cable , Coaxial Cable and Optical Fibre Cable.
- (i) Wireless or Unguided: For example, Radiowaves , Microwaves and Infrared.
There are some defined rules and conventions for communication between network devices.
These are called Protocols. Network protocols include mechanisms for devices to identify and make connections with each other, as well as formatting rules that specify how data is packaged into sent and received messages.
Protocols may be of 3 types:
- Internet Protocols
- Wireless Network Protocols
- Network Routing Protocols
4. Network Software:
Network software is a foundational element for any network. This type of software helps administrators deploy, manage and monitor a network. The traditional networks are made up of specialized hardware, such as routers and switches, that bundle the networking software into the solution.
Such type of software encompass a broad range of software used for design, implementation, and operation and monitoring of computer networks. Traditional networks were hardware based with software embedded. When the software like Defined Networking (SDN) emerged , software is separated from the hardware thus making it more adaptable to the ever-changing nature of the computer network.
- Basic Network Attacks in Computer Network
- Unicode in Computer Network
- WiMax in Computer Network
- Redistribution in Computer Network
- MAC Filtering in Computer Network
- Bit Stuffing in Computer Network
- Servers in Computer Network
- Functionality of Computer Network
- EtherChannel in Computer Network
- Manchester Encoding in Computer Network
- Types of switches in Computer Network
- Circuit Switching in Computer Network
- Access Control in Computer Network
- HMAC Algorithm in Computer Network
- Port Security in Computer Network
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.