1. Software Defined Network (SDN) :
SDN stands for Software Defined Network which is networking architecture approach. It enables the control and management of network using software applications. Through Software Defined Network (SDN) networking behavior of entire network and its devices are programmed in centrally controlled manner through software applications using open APIs.
Software Defined Network improves performance by network virtualization. In SDN software controlled applications or APIs work as basis of complete network management that may be directing traffic on network or to communicate with underlying hardware infrastructure. So in simple we can say SDN can create virtual network or it can control traditional network with the help of software.
The below figure illustrates architecture Software Defined Network :
2. Traditional Network :
Traditional network refers to the old conventional way of networking which uses fixed and dedicated hardware devices such as routers and switches to control network traffic. Inability to scale and network security and Performance are the major concern now a days in the current growing business situation so that SDN is taking control to traditional network. Traditional network is static and based on hardware network appliances.
Traditional network architecture was used by many companies till recent years but now a days due to its drawbacks Software Defined Network has been developed and in coming years it will be used more.
The below figure illustrates the architecture of Traditional Network :
Difference between SDN and Traditional Network :
|01.||Software Defined Network is virtual networking approach.||Traditional network is the old conventional networking approach.|
|02.||Software Defined Network is centralized control.||Traditional Network is distributed control.|
|03.||This network is programmable.||This network is non programmable.|
|04.||Software Defined Network is open interface.||Traditional network is closed interface.|
|05.||In Software Defined Network data plane and control plane are decoupled by software.||In traditional network data plane and control plane are mounted on same plane.|
|06.||It supports automatic configuration so it takes less time.||It supports static/manual configuration so it takes more time.|
|07.||It can prioritize and block specific network packets.||It leads all packets in the same way no prioritization support.|
|08.||It is easy to program as per need.||It is difficult to program again and to replace existing program as per use.|
|09.||Cost of Software Defined Network is low.||Cost of Traditional Network is high.|
|10.||Structural complexity is low in Software Defined Network.||Structural complexity is high in Traditional Network.|
|11.||Extensibility is high in Software Defined Network.||Extensibility is low in Traditional Network.|
|12.||In SDN it is easy to troubleshooting and reporting as it is centralized controlled.||In Traditional network it is difficult to troubleshoot and report as it is distributed controlled.|
|13.||Its maintenance cost is lower than traditional network.||Traditional network maintenance cost is higher than SDN.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Traditional Data Center and Software Defined Data Center
- Difference between Next Generation Network and Traditional Network
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Difference between Traditional and Reactive Computer System
- Difference Between Traditional Marketing and Digital Marketing
- Difference between Traditional Processing and Stream Processing
- Difference between Cloud Storage and Traditional Storage
- Difference between Traditional Firewall and Next Generation Firewall
- Difference between Traditional WAN and SD WAN
- Difference between EIS and Traditional Information System
- Difference between Traditional data and Big data
- Difference between Traditional Commerce and E-commerce
- Difference between Traditional Marketing Concept and Modern Marketing Concept
- Difference between user defined function and library function in C/C++
- Traditional Symmetric Ciphers
- Traditional wireless mobile communication
- Traditional TCP
- Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Software defined Networking
- Software-defined Networking (SDN) Controller
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.