Storage Area Network (SAN):
Storage Area Network (SAN) is used for transferring the data between the servers and the storage devices fiber channel and switches. In SAN (Storage Area Network), Data is identified by disk block. Protocols that are used in SAN are: SCSI, SATA etc.
Components of Storage Area Network (SAN):
1. Node ports 2. Cables 3. Interconnect device such as: Hubs, switches, directors 4. Storage arrays 5. SAN management Software
Network Attached Storage (NAS):
In Network Attached Storage (NAS), data is identified by file name as well as byte offset. In Network Attached Storage, File system is managed by Head unit such as CPU and Memory. In this for backup and recovery, files are used instead of block by block copying technique.
Components of Network Attached Storage (NAS):
1. Head unit: CPU, Memory 2. Network Interface Card (NIC) 3. Optimized operating system 4. Protocols 5. Storage protocols: ATA, SCSI,FC
Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS):
|1.||SAN stands for Storage Area Network.||NAS stands for Network Attached Storage.|
|2.||In SAN (Storage Area Network), data is identified by disk block.||In NAS (Network Attached Storage), data is identified by file name as well as byte offset.|
|3.||In SAN (Storage Area Network), file system is managed by servers.||In NAS (Network Attached Storage), file system is managed by Head unit.|
|4.||SAN (Storage Area Network) is more costly.||NAS (Network Attached Storage) is less expensive than SAN.|
|5.||SAN(Storage Area Network) is more complex than NAS.||NAS (Network Attached Storage) is less complex than SAN.|
|6.||Protocols used in SAN are: SCSI, SATA etc.||Protocols used in NAS are: File server,CIFS etc.|
|7.||For backups and recovery in SAN, Block by block copying technique is used.||For backups and recovery in NAS, Files are used.|
- Basic Network Attacks in Computer Network
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Network OS and Distributed OS
- Difference Between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Proxy
- Difference between Unicast, Broadcast and Multicast in Computer Network
- Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Difference between Client-Server and Peer-to-Peer Network
- Difference Between Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
- Network Safeguarding
- Network Protocols
- All you need to know about Network Neutrality
- Network Simulator 3
- Unicode in Computer Network
- Elements of Computer Network
- Functionality of Computer Network
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.