Given a positive integer N, the task is to divide it into K unique parts such that the sum of these parts is equal to the original number and the gcd of all the parts is maximum. Print the maximum gcd if such a division exists else print -1.
Input: N = 6, K = 3
Only possible division with unique
elements is (1, 2, 3) and gcd(1, 2, 3) = 1.
Input: N = 18, K = 3
Naive approach: Find all the possible divisions of N and compute the maximum gcd of them. But this approach will take exponential time and space.
Efficient approach: Let the divisions of N be A1, A2……..AK
Now, it is known that gcd(a, b) = gcd(a, b, a + b) and hence, gcd(A1, A2….AK) = gcd(A1, A2….AK, A1 + A2…. + AK)
But A1 + A2…. + AK = N and hence, the gcd of the divisions will be one of the factors of N.
Let a be the factor of N which can be the possible answer:
Since a is the gcd, all the division will be the multiples of a and hence, for K unique Bi,
a * B1 + a * B2……. + a * BK = N
a * (B1 + B2…….+ BK) = N
Since all the Bi are unique,
B1 + B2…….+ BK ≥ 1 + 2 + 3 ….. + K
B1 + B2…….+ BK ≥ K * (K + 1) / 2
Hence, all the factors of N whose complementary factor is greater than or equal to K * (K + 1) / 2 can be one of the possible answers and we have take to the maximum of all the possible answers.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
- Divide a number into two parts such that sum of digits is maximum
- Split a string in equal parts such that all parts are palindromes
- Divide a number into two parts
- Divide N into K parts in the form (X, 2X, ... , KX) for some value of X
- Divide a big number into two parts that differ by k
- Split a number into 3 parts such that none of the parts is divisible by 3
- Divide number into two parts divisible by given numbers
- Divide array into two parts with equal sum according to the given constraints
- Divide an isosceles triangle in two parts with ratio of areas as n:m
- Count ways to divide C in two parts and add to A and B to make A strictly greater than B
- Minimum cuts required to divide the Circle into equal parts
- Divide a sorted array in K parts with sum of difference of max and min minimized in each part
- Possible cuts of a number such that maximum parts are divisible by 3
- Count number of ways to divide a number in 4 parts
- Find the number of ways to divide number into four parts such that a = c and b = d
- Break a number such that sum of maximum divisors of all parts is minimum
- Break the number into three parts
- Sum of non-diagonal parts of a square Matrix
- Partition a number into two divisible parts
- Split the array into equal sum parts according to given conditions
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.