Tethering is the process of sharing mobile internet connection with the connected computer using Bluetooth or USB cable. On basis of this, tethering is classified as:
- USB Tethering
- Bluetooth Tethering
1. USB Tethering :
When the mobile internet connection is shared with connected computer using a physical cable like USB then it called USB Tethering. It is used for the high speed connection sharing between mobile devices and connected computer systems.
2. Mobile Hotspot :
When the mobile internet is shared with connected computer via wireless LAN (Wi-Fi), then it is called Mobile Hotspot. It is used for a short term connection between mobile devices and computer systems.
Difference between USB Tethering and Mobile Hotspot :
|USB TETHERING||MOBILE HOTSPOT|
|It is internet sharing connection established via USB cable.||It is internet sharing connection established using WLAN.|
|The internet speed obtained in connected computer is faster.||While the internet speed is little slow using hotspot.|
|It requires a mobile device and a USB cable.||While it requires only a mobile device.|
|It is a wired connection.||While it is a wireless connection.|
|It does not require mobile devices with hotspot.||For this, hotspot is compulsory in mobile devices.|
|It does not harm the battery life of mobile.||It harms the battery life of mobile.|
|It is used if connection is established for a long time.||It is used for a short term connection.|
|It has a predefined range i.e. length of USB cable.||It has variable range but limited.|
|Computer does not need to have the Wi-Fi functionality.||Computer needs to have Wi-Fi functionality.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
- Difference between WiFi and HotSpot
- Understanding Tethering Network
- Mobile Internet Protocol (or Mobile IP)
- Difference between Thunderbolt and USB-C
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) in Computer Network
- USB Full Form
- Difference between Mobile IP and GSM
- Types of Wireless and Mobile Device Attacks
- Securing wireless and mobile devices
- Introduction of Mobile Ad hoc Network (MANET)
- Traditional wireless mobile communication
- Global Mobile Satellite System
- Challenge In Mobile Device
- Mobile Crowd Sensing along with Incentive Mechanism
- Technical Challenges of Mobile Computing
- What is UMTS(Universal Mobile Telecommunication System)?
- Wireless/Mobile Computing Technologies
- Cyber Crime - Mobile Security Threats
- Uses of Mobile Authenticators
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.