Before moving onto the commonalities between GSM and Mobile IP, let’s go through brief discussion about these.
1. Mobile IP:
Mobile IP is an extension of IP protocol. It allows laptops(or smartphones) to be connected to the internet.
Services of Mobile IP:
- Support for many different modes of operations.
- Multiple ways for agents and mobile nods to discover each other.
- Use of single or multiple COAs.
- Multiple forms of encapsulation.
- Agent Discovery: It advertises the protocols of home or foreign agents to use its services to mobile-nodes.
- Registration with Home Agent: It defines protocols used by mobile-nodes to register COAs with home agent.
- Indirect routing of datagrams: It defines the manner in which datagrams are being transferred to mobile-node from home agent.
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile communication.
It is widely used mobile communication system in the world. It uses time division multiple access(TDMA) to send down the digitized and reduced data through a channel with two different streams of client data, each in its own particular time slot.
The main difference between both is:
GSM is the radio network you use to access data.
Mobile IP is used to transport your IP data from your device to a centralized exit point where it enters the public internet.
Difference between Mobile IP and GSM:
|GSM element||Comment on GSM element||Mobile IP element||Home System||Network to which the mobile user’s permanent phone number belongs.||Home network|
|Gateway mobile switching center or simply home MSC, Home location register (HLR).||Home MSC: point of contact to obtain routable address of mobile user.
HLR: database in home system containing permanent phone number, profile information, current location of mobile user, subscription information.
|Visited System||Network other than home system where mobile user is currently residing.||Visited network|
|Visited mobile services switching center, Visitor location register (VLR)||Visited MSC: responsible for setting up calls to/from mobile nodes in cells associated with MSC.
VLR: temporary database entry in visited system, containing subscription information for each visited mobile user.
|Mobile station roaming number (MSRN) or simply roaming number||Routable address for telephone cell segment between home MSC and visited MSC, visible to neither the mobile nor the correspondent.||Care-of-address|
- Mobile Internet Protocol (or Mobile IP)
- Challenge In Mobile Device
- Introduction of Mobile Ad hoc Network (MANET)
- Global Mobile Satellite System
- Traditional wireless mobile communication
- Technical Challenges of Mobile Computing
- Securing wireless and mobile devices
- Mobile Crowd Sensing along with Incentive Mechanism
- Types of Wireless and Mobile Device Attacks
- Difference between LED and LCD
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
- Difference between Tor and VPN
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
- Difference between LAN and WAN
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.