Spoofing is a type of attack on computer device in which the attacker tries to steal the identity of the legitimate user and act as another person. This kind of attack is done to breach the security of the system or to steal the information of the users.
Hackers normally change their IP addresses to hack a website so that the hacker can’t be traced.
Phishing is a type of attack on computer device where the attacker tries to find the sensitive information of users in a fraud manner through electronic communication by intending to be from a related trusted organization in an automated manner.
Sometimes hackers through communication ask for OTP or secret PIN of bank transaction by acting as an employee of the bank that is a fraud manner.
Difference between Spoofing and Phishing:
|Hacker tries to steal the identity to act as another individual.||Hacker tries to steal the sensitive information of the user.|
|It doesn’t require fraud.||It is operated in a fraud manner.|
|Information is not theft.||Information is theft.|
|Spoofing can be part of the phishing.||Phishing can’t be the part of the spoofing.|
|Needs to download some malicious software in victim computer.||No such malicious software is needed.|
|Spoofing is basically done to get a new identity.||Phishing is done to get secret information.|
|Types: IP Spoofing, Email Spoofing, URL Spoofing etc.||Types: Phone Phishing, Clone Phishing etc.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Phishing and Spear Phishing
- Difference between Phishing and Pharming
- Difference between Phishing and Vishing
- Difference between Spam and Phishing Mail
- Difference between Spear Phishing and Whaling
- DNS Spoofing or DNS Cache poisoning
- Phishing in Ethical Hacking
- Vishing (Voice Phishing)
- 10 Tips To Identify Phishing Emails
- Can a Bird Eye View on Phishing Emails Reduce it Potentially?
- Difference Between Gi-Fi and Li-Fi
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference Between GIT and SVN
- Difference between C and C#
- Difference Between Blu-Ray and DVD
- Difference between TCP and RTP
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between 4NF and 5NF
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.