There are several types of Email attacks that are used by attackers to steal confidential information from computer system or network. The confidential information includes login credentials, bank card details, or any other sensitive data. Phishing and Spear Phishing are also such types of email attacks.
1. Phishing :
This is a type of email attack in which attacker tries to find sensitive information of users in a fraud manner through electronic communication by pretending to be from a related trusted organization. Emails are carefully designed by attackers to target a group and clicking on link installs malicious code on computer.
- Stealing bank transaction password from users
- Stealing login credentials from users
2. Spear Phishing :
Spear Phishing is type of email attack in which specific person or organization is targeted. In spear phishing attacker tricks target to click on malicious links which installs malicious code and let attacker retrieve sensitive information from targeted system or network.
- Stealing stacks details from an organization
- Stealing product designing procedure from a company
Difference between Phishing and Spear Phishing :
|Phishing attack is done for a wide range of people.||Spear phishing is done for specific person or organization.|
|Its objective is to steal sensitive data like bank card details from maximum people.||Its objective is to steal sensitive data from a large company regarding stacks etc.|
|It is an automated attack.||While it is a manual attack.|
|The targets selected in phishing are very random.||While target is specific in spear phishing.|
|This is broad and less sophisticated.||While this is more sophisticated.|
|It is mostly done for money.||While it is done to ruin an organization.|
|Phishing includes cyber criminals or professional hackers.||While spear phishing attackers are business oriented malicious code distributor.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Spear Phishing and Whaling
- Difference between Spoofing and Phishing
- Difference between Spam and Phishing Mail
- Difference between Phishing and Pharming
- Difference between Phishing and Vishing
- Vishing (Voice Phishing)
- Phishing in Ethical Hacking
- 10 Tips To Identify Phishing Emails
- Can a Bird Eye View on Phishing Emails Reduce it Potentially?
- Creating Phishing page of a website
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.