Spear Phishing and Whaling both are different type of Email phishing attacks that attackers use to steal your confidential information. This confidential information might include login credentials, credit & debit card details, and other sensitive data.
It is the type of phishing which targets specific person or organization. In this attack attacker tricks the victim to click on malicious links which installs malicious code, which let attacker retrieve all the sensitive information from the target system or network.
Whaling is also a type of phishing attack. In this attack high level personal of an organization such as CEO, COO, CTO are targeted. Attacker send Email or text message that seems to be legitimate but contains malicious link.
Difference between Spear Phishing and Whaling:
|1.||Targets specific group of people or organization||Targets only high level directives of an organization|
|2.||Main focus is to steal corporate banking information||Main focus is to steal admin credentials or trade secrets|
|3.||Email or message is designed for group of people||Email or message is for specific person|
|4.||Targets low profile individual||Targets high profile individual|
|5.||To prevent this attack educate people about such attacks||Check the URL before actually clicking it|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Phishing and Spear Phishing
- Difference between Phishing and Pharming
- Difference between Spoofing and Phishing
- Difference between Phishing and Vishing
- Difference between Spam and Phishing Mail
- Phishing in Ethical Hacking
- Vishing (Voice Phishing)
- 10 Tips To Identify Phishing Emails
- Creating Phishing page of a website
- Can a Bird Eye View on Phishing Emails Reduce it Potentially?
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between OOP and POP
- Difference between GSM and LTE
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between ANN, CNN and RNN
- Difference between C and C#
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between LED and LCD
- Difference between IBM DB2 and MS SQL
- Difference between DFD and ERD
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.