Spoofing is a type of attack on computer device in which the attacker tries to steal the identity of the legitimate user and act as another person. This kind of attack is done to breach the security of the system or to steal the information of the users.
Hackers normally change their IP addresses to hack a website so that the hacker can’t be traced.
Phishing is a type of attack on computer device where the attacker tries to find the sensitive information of users in a fraud manner through electronic communication by intending to be from a related trusted organization in an automated manner.
Sometimes hackers through communication ask for OTP or secret PIN of bank transaction by acting as an employee of the bank that is a fraud manner.
Difference between Spoofing and Phishing:
|Hacker tries to steal the identity to act as another individual.||Hacker tries to steal the sensitive information of the user.|
|It doesn’t require fraud.||It is operated in a fraud manner.|
|Information is not theft.||Information is theft.|
|Spoofing can be part of the phishing.||Phishing can’t be the part of the spoofing.|
|Needs to download some malicious software in victim computer.||No such malicious software is needed.|
|Spoofing is basically done to get a new identity.||Phishing is done to get secret information.|
|Types: IP Spoofing, Email Spoofing, URL Spoofing etc.||Types: Phone Phishing, Clone Phishing etc.|
- Vishing (Voice Phishing)
- Phishing in Ethical Hacking
- DNS Spoofing or DNS Cache poisoning
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.