It is an Internet Engineering Task Force standard suite of protocols between two communication points. It can also be defined as the encrypted, decrypted and authenticated packets. It generally uses cryptographic security services to protect communications. It can be seen that network-level peer and data origin authentication, data integrity, data encryption, and protection are supported by IPsec.
For Example, IPSec can be used in between two routers in order to create a site-to-site VPN and between a firewall and windows host for a remote access VPN.
It is a networking protocol that is used at the transport layer to provide a secure connection between the client and the server over the internet. It is a transparent protocol that requires little interaction from the end-user when establishing a secure session. SSL Tunneling involves a client that requires an SSL connection to a backend service or secure server via a proxy server.
For Example, For securing the communication between a web browser and a web server, he SSL is used.
Difference between IPSec and SSL:
|Internet protocol security (IPsec) is a set of protocols that provide security for Internet Protocol.||SSL is a secure protocol developed for sending information securely over the Internet.|
|It Work in Internet Layer of the OSI model.||It Work in Between the transport layer and application layer of the OSI model.|
|Configuration of IPsec is Complex||Configuration of SSl is Comparatively Simple|
|IPsec is used to secure a Virtual Private Network.||SSL is used to secure web transactions.|
|Installation process is Vendor Non-Specific||Installation process is Vendor Specific|
|Changes are required to OS for implementation. NO Changes are required to application||No changes are required to OS for implementation but Changes are required to application|
|IPsec resides in operating system space||SSL resides in user space|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- IP security (IPSec)
- IPSec Architecture
- IPSec Full Form
- Difference between Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Difference between Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Secure Electronic Transaction (SET)
- Difference between Kerberos and SSL
- Difference between SSH and SSL
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL)
- Is SSL enough for Cloud Security?
- SSL Full Form
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378