Problem: Design a Data Structure a SpecialQueue which supports following operations enque, deque, getMin() or getMax() where getMin() operation takes O(1) time.
Let the data to be inserted in queue be - 4, 2, 1, 6 Operation Queue Output push(4) 4 - push(2) 4, 2 - push(1) 4, 2, 1 - getMin() 4, 2, 1 1 push(6) 4, 2, 1, 6 - pop() 2, 1, 6 4 pop() 1, 6 2 pop() 6 1 getMin() 6 6 // Notice the getMin() function call // It returns the minimum element // of all the values present in the queue
Approach: The idea is to use Doubly ended Queue to store in increasing order if the structure is to return the minimum element and store in decreasing order if the structure is to return the maximum element. The operations of the Data Struture is defined as follows:
- Insert the element into the queue structure.
- If the size of the Deque structure is empty that is the size of the Deque is 0. Then, Insert the element from the back.
- Otherwise, If there are some elements in the Deque structure then pop the elements out from the Deque until the back of the Deque is greater than the current element and then finally insert the element from back.
- If the first element of the Deque is equal to the front element of the queue then pop the elements out from the Queue and the Deque at the same time.
- Otherwise, Pop the element from the front of the queue to maintain the order of the elements.
Return the front element of the Deque to get the minimum element of the current element of the queue.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.