A simple python List can act as queue and stack as well. Queue mechanism is used widely and for many purposes in daily life. A queue follows FIFO rule(First In First Out) and is used in programming for sorting and for many more things. Python provides Class queue as a module which has to be generally created in languages such as C/C++ and Java.
1. Creating a FIFO Queue
// Initialize queue Syntax: queue.Queue(maxsize) // Insert Element Syntax: Queue.put(data) // Get And remove the element Syntax: Queue.get()
Initializes a variable to a maximum size of maxsize. A maxsize of zero ‘0’ means a infinite queue. This Queue follows FIFO rule. This module also has a LIFO Queue, which is basically a Stack. Data is inserted into Queue using put() and the end. get() takes data out from the front of the Queue. Note that Both put() and get() take 2 more parameters, optional flags, block and timeout.
5 9 1 7
2. UnderFlow and OverFlow
When we try to add data into a Queue above is maxsize, it is called OverFlow(Queue Full) and when we try removing an element from an empty, it’s called Underflow. put() and get() do not give error upon Underflow and Overflow, but goes into an infinite loop.
0 Full: False Full: True 5 9 1 Empty: False 7 9 10 Empty: True Full: False
This module queue also provides LIFO Queue which technically works as a Stack.
0 Full: True Size: 6 10 9 7 1 9 Empty: False
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Priority Queue using Queue and Heapdict module in Python
- Check if a queue can be sorted into another queue using a stack
- Check if moves in a stack or queue are possible or not
- Implement a stack using single queue
- Implement Stack and Queue using Deque
- Difference between Array, Queue and Stack
- How to implement stack using priority queue or heap?
- Difference between Stack and Queue Data Structures
- Level order traversal in spiral form | Using one stack and one queue
- Reversing a Queue using another Queue
- Queue in Python
- Priority Queue in Python
- Heap queue (or heapq) in Python
- Multithreaded Priority Queue in Python
- Python | Queue using Doubly Linked List
- Queue using Stacks
- Reversing a Queue
- Priority Queue | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Sort the Queue using Recursion
- Reversing the first K elements of a Queue
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.