Data Dictionaries in Software Engineering
Data Dictionary is the major component in the structured analysis model of the system. A data dictionary in Software Engineering means a file or a set of files that includes a database’s metadata (hold records about other objects in the database), like data ownership, relationships of the data to another object, and some other data.
Components of Data Dictionary :
In Software Engineering, the data dictionary contains the following information as follows.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Name of the item –
It can be your choice.
- Aliases –
It represents another name.
- Description –
Description of what actual text is all about.
- Related data items –
Relationship with other data items.
- Range of values –
It will represent all possible answers.
Data Dictionary Notations tables :
The Notations used within the data dictionary are given in the table below as follows.
Notations Meaning X = a+b X consists data elements a and b. X = [a/b] X consists of either elements a or b. X = a X X consists of optimal data elements a. X = y[a] X consists of y or more events of data element a X = [a] z X consists of z or less events of data element a X = y [a] z X consists of some events of data elements between y and z.
Features of Data Dictionary :
Here, we will discuss some features of the data dictionary as follows.
- It helps in designing test cases and designing the software.
- It is very important for creating an order list from a subset of the items list.
- It is very important for creating an order list from a complete items list.
- The data dictionary is also important to find the specific data item object from the list.
Uses of Data Dictionary :
Here, we will discuss some use cases of the data dictionary as follows.
- Used for creating the ordered list of data items
- Used for creating the ordered list of a subset of the data items
- Used for Designing and testing of software in Software Engineering
- Used for finding data items from a description in Software Engineering