Given an integer N number of stairs, the task is count the number ways to reach the Nth stair by taking 1 or 2 step any number of times but taking a step of 3 exactly once.
Input: N = 4
Since a step of 3 has to be taken compulsorily and only once. So, there are only two possible ways: (1, 3) or (3, 1)
Input: N = 5
There are five possible ways to reach 5th stair: (2, 3), (3, 2), (1, 1, 3), (1, 3, 1), (3, 1, 1)
Approach: This problem can be solved using the concept of Permutations & Combinations. There is a constraint according to which 3 steps at a time have to be taken exactly once. The idea is to count the number of positions that are possible for 3 steps to be taken.
Now, the next task is to find the number of possible two-steps in the movement to Nth stair, which is (N – 3) / 2. In this way, all the possible ways will be covered if the count of two-step is incremented once at a time and for each step, all the possible combinations are calculated.
After Generalising the steps the possible combinations for each possible sequence will be
Ways = (Length of sequence)! * (Count of 2-step)! ------------------------------------------ (Count of 1-step)!
- Intialize the length of the sequence to (N – 2).
- Intialize the count of 1-steps to (N – 3).
- Intialize the count of 2-steps to 0
- Intialize the possible count of 2-steps to (N-3)/2.
- Run a loop until the possible count of 2-steps is equal to the actual count of 2-steps.
- Find the possible number of ways with the help of the current length of the sequence, count of 1-steps, count of 2-steps and by above-given formulae.
- Reduce the length of the sequence by 1.
- Increase the count of 2-steps by 1
Below is the implementation of the above approach.
- Time Complexity: As in the above approach, there is one loop to check the possible permutations for each sequence which can go uptil (N-3) which takes O(N) time and to find the possible combinations it will take O(N), Hence the Time Complexity will be O(N2).
- Space Complexity: As in the above approach, there is no extra space used, Hence the space complexity will be O(1).
Note: The time complexity can be improved up to O(N) by precomputing the factorials for every number till N.
- Count ways to reach the nth stair using step 1, 2 or 3
- Find the number of ways to reach Kth step in stair case
- Minimum steps to reach the Nth stair in jumps of perfect power of 2
- Count ways to reach the n'th stair
- Minimum steps to reach N from 1 by multiplying each step by 2, 3, 4 or 5
- Minimize steps to reach K from 0 by adding 1 or doubling at each step
- Find the number of stair steps
- Program to make Indian Flag in Python | Step by Step
- Step by Step guide to install Intellij Idea
- Reach A and B by multiplying them with K and K^2 at every step
- Number of ways to reach Nth floor by taking at-most K leaps
- Minimum step to reach one
- Steps to reduce N to zero by subtracting its most significant digit at every step
- Number of steps to sort the array by changing order of three elements in each step
- Min steps to convert N-digit prime number into another by replacing a digit in each step
- Count the minimum steps to reach 0 from the given integer N
- Number of steps required to reach point (x,y) from (0,0) using zig-zag way
- Check if it is possible to reach (x, y) from origin in exactly Z steps using only plus movements
- Count of ways to traverse a Matrix and return to origin in K steps
- Minimum steps to reach end from start by performing multiplication and mod operations with array elements
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.