Given four points of a rectangle, and one more point P. Write a function to check whether P lies within the given rectangle or not.
Input : R = [(10, 10), (10, -10), (-10, -10), (-10, 10)] P = (0, 0) Output : yes Illustration : Input : R = [(10, 10), (10, -10), (-10, -10), (-10, 10)], P = (20, 20) Output : no Illustration :
Approach : Let the coordinates of four corners be A(x1, y1), B(x2, y2), C(x3, y3) and D(x4, y4). And coordinates of the given point P be (x, y)
1) Calculate area of the given rectangle, i.e., area of the rectangle ABCD as area of triangle ABC + area of triangle ACD.
Area A = [ x1(y2 – y3) + x2(y3 – y1) + x3(y1-y2)]/2 + [ x1(y4 – y3) + x4(y3 – y1) + x3(y1-y4)]/2
2) Calculate area of the triangle PAB as A1.
3) Calculate area of the triangle PBC as A2.
4) Calculate area of the triangle PCD as A3.
5) Calculate area of the triangle PAD as A4.
6) If P lies inside the triangle, then A1 + A2 + A3 + A4 must be equal to A.
This article is contributed by Shivam Pradhan (anuj_charm). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Check if a point lies on or inside a rectangle | Set-2
- Check whether a given point lies on or inside the rectangle | Set 3
- Check whether a given point lies inside a triangle or not
- How to check if a given point lies inside or outside a polygon?
- Check whether a point lies inside a sphere or not
- Find a point that lies inside exactly K given squares
- Find if a point lies inside, outside or on the circumcircle of three points A, B, C
- Check whether the point (x, y) lies on a given line
- Check if a given circle lies completely inside the ring formed by two concentric circles
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the ellipse
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the parabola
- Check if any point overlaps the given Circle and Rectangle
- Check if a circle lies inside another circle or not
- Count of integral coordinates that lies inside a Square
- Coordinates of rectangle with given points lie inside