Given four points of a rectangle, and one more point P. Write a function to check whether P lies within the given rectangle or not.
Input : R = [(10, 10), (10, -10), (-10, -10), (-10, 10)] P = (0, 0) Output : yes Illustration : Input : R = [(10, 10), (10, -10), (-10, -10), (-10, 10)], P = (20, 20) Output : no Illustration :
Approach : Let the coordinates of four corners be A(x1, y1), B(x2, y2), C(x3, y3) and D(x4, y4). And coordinates of the given point P be (x, y)
1) Calculate area of the given rectangle, i.e., area of the rectangle ABCD as area of triangle ABC + area of triangle ACD.
Area A = [ x1(y2 – y3) + x2(y3 – y1) + x3(y1-y2)]/2 + [ x1(y4 – y3) + x4(y3 – y1) + x3(y1-y4)]/2
2) Calculate area of the triangle PAB as A1.
3) Calculate area of the triangle PBC as A2.
4) Calculate area of the triangle PCD as A3.
5) Calculate area of the triangle PAD as A4.
6) If P lies inside the triangle, then A1 + A2 + A3 + A4 must be equal to A.
This article is contributed by Shivam Pradhan (anuj_charm). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Check whether a given point lies on or inside the rectangle | Set 3
- Check if a point lies on or inside a rectangle | Set-2
- How to check if a given point lies inside or outside a polygon?
- Check whether a point lies inside a sphere or not
- Check whether a given point lies inside a triangle or not
- Find a point that lies inside exactly K given squares
- Check if a given circle lies completely inside the ring formed by two concentric circles
- Check whether the point (x, y) lies on a given line
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the parabola
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the ellipse
- Check if a circle lies inside another circle or not
- Coordinates of rectangle with given points lie inside
- Sum of Area of all possible square inside a rectangle
- Count the number of rhombi possible inside a rectangle of given size
- Triangle with no point inside