BNY Mellon Internship Interview Experience for Software Developer | On-Campus 2022
BNY Mellon visited our campus on 21 Sep 2021 for Summer Internship 2022.
- Eligibility: Branch – CSE, IT, E&TC, Instru
- Criterion: 6.0 CGPA and above, No dead and live backlogs considered.
- Pattern: 1 HackerRank coding test + 2 Tech rounds + 1 HR round
Round 1: HackerRank Coding Test
4 questions to be done in 90 mins
- Easy question: similar to picking numbers question of HackerRank
- Medium question: graph-based – can be done using DFS or BFS
- Medium question: graph-based – minimum steps by knight problem
- Hard question: Tree-based – given is a string which represents a tree, find whether is this valid or not according to specified conditions in question, if not valid then return the appropriate error code as given in the question.
Round 2: Tech round 1
Time: 45 minutes – 10 Students were shortlisted for this round
- Asked about the internship I have done earlier from Cisco – asked the follow-up questions on the same.
- Project discussion – tech stack used and implementation.
- Write a code to remove duplicates from the given linked list on provided HackerRank code pair link.
- Compiled and interpreted language differences.
- What is a constructor?
- Give me an example where you can do constructor overloading
- What is Exception Handling – what is need for this
- Explain the flow of the program in the try, catch and finally block
- What is the purpose of finally block
- C++ and Python difference
- Which data structure you would use to design a traffic signal and why?
- Give me a real-life scenario where you see stack implemented
- Identify which data structure is used for the following implementations – 1)Memory allocation and deallocation in the compiler – Ans: heap 2)Browser history – Ans: stack
- What is multithreading in java?
- ArrayList and Vector difference
- What is namespace in C++?
- How much do you know python? Do you know NumPy library?
- Do you have any questions for me? (I asked one)
Round 3: Tech round 2
Time: 30 minutes Total 4 students were shortlisted for this round
- Which question do you feel you could have answered better in Round 1
- What are threads?
- About my internship at Cisco – learnings, experience
- In C, if we write while(true) as a loop, what will happen and why?
- What is the function pointer in C – where we can use this?
- Declared array of size 5 and if I try to access 7th location, What will happen?
- What is a static keyword in java?
- What is a singleton in java?
- The project, resume discussion, and follow up questions
- What is core dump, thread dump?
- Do you know Apache Tomcat? Have you worked on it? (I used this in one of my projects)
- What are adaptive and responsive websites?
- What is JDK, JRE, JVM?
- HTTP and HTTPS difference
- What is Big O notation? Do you know any other notations?
- Which data structure you will use to store different country names such as India, US, UK, and then their respective state names and then respective city names. Ans – Tree Why? – As the given data is hierarchical
- What are GET and POST methods
- Tell me approach to code the following question
Testcase 1) Input - email@example.com Expected output - firstname.lastname@example.org Testcase 2) Input - email@example.com Expected output - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you have any questions for me? (I asked one)
Round 4: HR round
Time: 45 minutes Total of 2 Students were shortlisted for this round
- Give a brief summary about yourself, what all things you have done so far – technical, no technical both
- Java and python difference – which one do you think is better?
- Why do you prefer to code in Java?
- What are all projects you have done and implementations?
- Why did you choose this problem statement as your project, what was your thought process to come with this problem statement specifically?
- How you tested your project?
- Tell me about a time when you could not do well in academics and how you tackled this situation.
- Do you think that doing all these projects was beneficial? If yes then how?
- What are your future plans?
- Have been involved in any technical discussion forums – how do you keep yourself updated?
- Do you want to highlight any point which we missed to discuss which will add value to your candidature?
At the end of my HR interview, I said Thank you, sir, Good day! and he replied, “when you will join the company, at that time don’t call me sir, call me by my name!” This was a very big hint for selection. But still, you can not assume anything until the results are out. So I was desperately waiting for results. After the HR interview, I searched for the person who took my HR round on LinkedIn and came to know that he is vice president. Results were out after 2 hours, and only I was selected!!! I was very happy, and then I also felt bad for the other candidate who was rejected after the HR round
- Keep in mind Time matters so much in all the interviews and do not lie for any reason.
- If not selected then don’t get upset, analyze your mistakes and look forward to the next opportunities!!