Understanding the concepts of Back-End Web Development is not easy for beginners if they don’t find a good resource or a book. There’s so much to learn about the backend and so many frameworks or libraries releasing every week that it’s hard to find out where to start everything from scratch to advance level. Not only for beginners but also experienced people in software development sometimes look for some good resources or books to brush up their skills.
Being an entry-level or experienced developer there are some books you need to keep on your shelf for reference or to start your journey in programming as a beginner. We have categorized these books on a server-side language basis for beginners and experienced both also we highly recommend you to scratch your brain, apply your logic in programming and run your own code for in-depth and better learning.
1. Head First Java: By Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates: This one is the best beginners’friendly and classic book to learn Java from scratch and it covers all the concepts with proper diagrams and visuals. This book doesn’t require any pre-requisite knowledge. The best part of this book is its simplicity and you will find a lot of real-life examples to clear all the concepts. All the chapters in this book end with quizzes, exercises, and puzzles for a good grasp on Java language.
This book covers all the concepts of OOP which are really important in Java. In the beginning, it covers class, object, thread, collection, language features like Generics, Enum, variable arguments or auto-boxing, etc. In the advanced section, it covers Swing, networking and Java IO, etc and that is the best learning curve for all the beginners. This book is a bit outdated but still, this one is the best book if you are new in programming and java both.
Buy Head First Java 2e (A Brain-Friendly Guide) Book
2. Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++: By Bjarne Stroustrup: This book has more than 1200 pages and maybe scary for complete beginners due to its size but after reading this book you will be more confident in programming. It is written by the original implementor of C++ and good for absolute beginners. It covers both generic programming and object-oriented programming.
At the beginning of this book, you will learn how to structure your code. You will find a brief discussion on programming, computer science and then you will be moving to the core concepts of C++ like an object, types, statements, functions, errors, vector, classes, I/O, etc. This book also includes dozens of exercises to make your concepts more clear.
Buy Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ Book
3. Learn Python The Hard Way: By Zed A. Shaw: This book has really helped a lot of people learning python with a practical approach. The author has included exercises in a way that you need to type code on your own and then you need to fix the mistake in your code. Solving these exercises will help you to write a good program also it will help you in learning some tricks for debugging as well. In the beginning, you will learn about the installation of the Python environment, then it covers basic mathematics, variables, program design, data structure, strings, files, loops, and other fundamental concepts. If you really want to learn python from scratch with hands-on experience then go for this book.
Buy Learn Python the Hard Way
4. The Joy of PHP Programming: By Alan Forbes: If you are an absolute beginner in programming and want to become a professional web developer but have no idea where to start then this book is best for you to learn everything from scratch. The book covers HTML basics first so that a newbie can easily start with it and then step by step it covers all the concepts of PHP and helps you to read, write, modify and make your own dynamic website. The book includes the installation of PHP, PHP syntax, control structures, and MySQL as well. Initially, you will be learning to create and run basic PHP script then you will be moving to modify web pages also you will be solving some series of challenging and fun exercises throughout this book.
5. Beginning Node.js: By Basarat Ali Syed: The book covers all the core concepts of NodeJS and will walk you through all the principles. You will be learning to set up the complete environment, SPA(Single page application) concept, packages, streams, handling callbacks along with testing and debugging your application. You will also learn about the Express framework, data maintenance and how to deploy your web application on the internet. Everything in this book is covered through examples and diagrams for better understanding and from beginners’ perspective learning curve.
1. Java: The Complete Reference, Eleventh Edition: By Herbert Schildt: Herbert Schildt has written best-selling books on different programming languages and this book has everything for in-depth knowledge to become master in Java programming language. This book is good for professionals for reference. It includes real-world examples and explains all the basics and advanced concepts of java like JavaBeans, servlets, applets, swing and Java 8 APIs as well.
2. The C++ Programming Language: By Bjarne Stroustrup: We recommend this book for intermediate or advanced programmers in C++ which is written by the original implementer of this language. The fourth edition of this book includes the features of C++11 and the standard library. It starts with some basics of C++ and then slowly you will be moving to the structures, statements, functions, unions, and enumerations. It also includes containers, algorithms, abstraction mechanisms, concurrency, utilities, templates, and metaprogramming.
3. Python Cookbook: Recipes for Mastering Python 3: If you are an experienced Python programmer then this book is good for you to master your programming skill. The complete book is on Python3 code so it will help you in programming using modern tools and idioms instead of standard coding technique. This book beautifully explains why and how the code works. Each recipe in this book starts with the problem statement and the solution is given with extended code and discussion.
You will get guidance on topics like data encoding, data structures, algorithms, meta-programming, concurrency, iterators, functions, classes, modules, decorator patterns, closures, packages, testing, debugging and exceptions.
4. PHP & MySQL: The Missing Manual: If you have already experience in PHP programming then this book will take you to the next level. This book has 546 pages that help programmers in managing content, building a database, and interacting with users. You will also learn about the connectivity of PHP and MySQL with the proper guidance of the database management system. A few concepts that you will learn in this book are handling images and complexity, binary objects and image loading, listing, iterating and administrating, authentication & authorization, making dynamic web pages & web apps.
- Effective Java
- Java: A Beginner’s Guide, Seventh Edition
- C++ Primer (5th Edition)
- Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example
- Python Crash Course
- Django for Beginners
- PHP & MySQL Novice to Ninja
- PHP and MySQL Web Development
- Node.js Design Patterns – Second Edition
- Mastering Node.js
- Best Books to Learn Front-End Web Development
- Best Books to Learn Java for Beginners and Experts
- Best Books To Learn Machine Learning For Beginners And Experts
- Best Books to Learn Python for Beginners and Experts in 2019
- How can I start to learn Web Development ?
- Top Android Development Frameworks to Learn in 2019
- Frontend vs Backend
- Must have books for Placements Preparation
- Why is Parse Server the future of Backend As A Service?
- How to Learn Programming?
- Top 10 Reasons to Learn C++
- Why Should I Learn Coding?
- What is API? How it is useful in Web Development ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.