Diffie-Hellman-Algorithm is primarily a protocol that is used for key exchange. Using this interactive protocol two parties will derive a common secret key by communicating each other. The security of Diffie-Hellman algorithm is mainly based on the difficulty of computing the discrete logarithms.
Applications of Diffie Hellman Algorithm:
Many protocol uses Diffie-Hellman algorithm to enhance security and few of them are:
- Secure Shell (SSH)
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) / Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
- Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
Limitations of Diffie Hellman Algorithm:
The following are the limitations of Diffie-Hellman algorithm:
- Lack of authentication procedure.
- Algorithm can be used only for symmetric key exchange.
- As there is no authentication involved, it is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack.
- As it is computationally intensive, it is expensive in terms of resources and CPU performance time.
- Encryption of information cannot be performed with the help of this algorithm.
- Digital signature cannot be signed using Diffie-Hellman algorithm.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Applications of various Automata
- TCP/IP Ports and Its Applications
- Inclusion-Exclusion and its various Applications
- Applications of Ad hoc network and it's problems
- Arden's Theorem and Challenging Applications | Set 2
- Core Defences Mechanism in Web Applications
- Luhn algorithm
- Berkeley's Algorithm
- Cristian's Algorithm
- RC5 Encryption Algorithm
- Difference between RSA algorithm and DSA
- RC4 Encryption Algorithm
- RSA Algorithm in Cryptography
- Back-off Algorithm for CSMA/CD
- LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Blowfish Algorithm with Examples
- C-LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Relabel-to-front Algorithm
- ElGamal Encryption Algorithm
- How to solve RSA Algorithm Problems?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.