“During our hiring meetings, we ask people to consider three questions before making a decision… Will you admire this person?… Will this person raise the average level of effectiveness of the group they’re entering?…. Along what dimension might this person be a superstar?” Jeff Bezos
Hello Everyone, I am extremely happy to get selected for the role of Amazon AWS Cloud Support Associate in October 2020. The work location was Hyderabad. We had a pool campus drive consisting of some well-reputed Institutions from around Visakhapatnam. I am from Vignan’s Institute of Information Technology. I would love to share my experience and would be glad if it can be of any help to anyone aspiring for the same role in the future.
Since we were amidst a pandemic, the entire selection process happened Virtually.
We were given a comprehensive syllabus to prepare from, consisting of topics listed below.
- Difference between router, switch.
- What is a Broadcast Domain?
- DHCP DORA process
- DNS – detailed explanation. TCP/UDP and why?
- Complete flow when you trigger amazon.com
- OSI model with complete details and protocols on each layer.
- TCP and SSL handshake
- Difference between TCP/UDP, examples
- Flow/error control
- What is a firewall, why do you need it?
- OSI Model
- OS boot process (Win/Linux)
- Memory management, Memory pages, Buffer, and Caches, Basic commands
- System date/time management, network time protocol
- Managing Users and groups
- File permissions
- Managing software – installation, uninstall, upgrade, etc.
- Managing system services and background processes
- Remote management of a system – SSH, RDP, etc.
- Network protocols – FTP, HTTP (web servers), SMTP (mail server)
- System automation – cron, batch jobs, windows startup tasks
First Round: Online Examination. ( No web proctoring and No negative marking)
The round consisted of 4 stages.
- Stage 1: Job simulation. We were given various scenarios with simulated customer emails and were asked to rank the effectiveness of various measures we would take in response to such scenarios. In my opinion, the main purpose of this round was to test how the candidate would assess the importance and the response to a given scenario.
- Stage 2: Technical MCQs. The major topics were from Computer Networks, CCNA, and Operating Systems.
- Stage 3: Psychometric and Behavioral test. It tests your personality and attitude.
- Stage 4: Personal Experience and Interests in various fields. We were given a list of topics like Networking, Databases, Deployment, Backend Support, Data Analytics, etc. and were asked our expertise in them and what topics interest us the most.
Second Round: Technical Review 1. ( Online Video Call via Amazon Chime)
It was a Technical Interview involving mostly Operating Systems concepts. My interviewer was very supportive and had a jovial demeanor. It took 1 hour.
Asked me to introduce myself and if I was comfortable in Windows or Linux Operating Systems. I chose Linux.
- Booting Process in Detail.
- Booting Process troubleshooting.
- Bootable Device not found. Troubleshoot it.
- SSH connection troubleshooting.
- How do you check which ports are listening?
- The device is slowing down, Troubleshoot it.
- Commands to check for CPU Utilization.
- TOP and SAR command in detail.
- Paging Concept.
- What are System calls?
- Explain about fork().
- Explain the Process life cycle or Process States.
- How to check for Disk Free space.
- I have disk space available but the file is not getting created. Why?
- Explain the importance of inodes.
- The device is Heating up. Troubleshoot it.
- How do PING and TRACERT commands work?
- Explain what happens when www.amazon.com is clicked.
- Explain DHCP DORA Process.
- Write a program for printing the permutations of a string.
Third Round: Technical Review 2. (Online Video Call via Amazon Chime)
It was a Technical Interview involving mostly Computer Networks concepts. My interviewer was really helpful in guiding me towards the solutions for the questions whose answers I had trouble arriving at. It took around 1 hour.
- Introduce yourself.
- Explain DHCP and DORA processes in detail.
- What is APIPA?
- Which messages are Broadcast and Unicast in DORA? Why?
- Different types of IP Address allocations in DHCP.
- Will my computer get the same IP address allocated every time?
- Role of the Router in the separation of Broadcast Domains.
- DNS Query Process.
- What happens if we type www.amazon.com. This time, the interview went into depth about the process of questioning various aspects.
- What are ports and port numbers?
- Do different tabs making queries in the browser use different port numbers?
- TCP handshake in detail.
- Problem on Sequence numbers and Acknowledgement numbers.
- What is SSL. Explain about Digital Certificates and TLS Handshake.
- Problem on IP Addressing at the sender, gateway and destination.
- Packet Tracing.
- How do we check IP address and Gateway and DNS Server addresses of our device.
Fourth Round: Managerial and Human Resources (HR) Round. (Online Video Call via Amazon Chime)
I had a very cool and friendly interviewer who asked me to address her by her name. She was very co-operative and engaged in a very friendly talk. She made sure I was very comfortable.
- Introduce Yourself.
- Detailed discussion about Projects.
- Tell me about a time when you handled a task within tight deadlines.
- Tell me about a time when you failed a deadline.
- Tell me about a time when you did something out of your comfort zone.
- Tell me how you handled you non-supportive team members in your team.
- Tell me about a time when you had to take a decision on the spot.
- Tell me about a time when you had to take critical feedback.
- Asked me about my interests in competitive programming.
- Explain Competitive Programming.
- Tell me about a time when you spent a lot of time in solving a problem.
- Tell me about a time when you didn’t get the solution even after putting in effort.
- Did you ever ask your peers for help when you were stuck.
- How did you develop interest on Competitive Programming.
- How comfortable are you with learning new concepts.
- How adaptable are you with entering the Networking sphere.
- Any Questions for me?
After the long grueling process, I got selected for the role. A total of 9 members got selected from my college which was the highest number for any institution participating in the drive. It was a very innovative, interesting and challenging process.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.